Problem with "groups"

Make comments, ask questions, or just complain about the software on this site. Or comment on any educational software.
Please note that by clicking on links that may appear in these posts that you may be leaving the Dale Harris Educational Software website and that the content of those sites is the sole resposibility of the authors of those sites.

Moderators:daleadmin, Dale Harris, Alan, Andrew

Tim
Problem with "groups"

Post by Tim » Wed Jun 15, 2005 6:30 pm

Hi Dale,

I have "use groups" on by default...when I park a sale to start a new one (option #2 on park sales menu), I am prompted for my associate number, and then am taken to the sales screen...but not the groups. I must press F1 for the groups...

Not a big deal for ME, but for my clueless sales staff...that's another story. Shouldn't the stock table/groups appear by default?

Thanks!
-Tim

Dale Harris
Forum Owner

Not a problem

Post by Dale Harris » Wed Jun 15, 2005 6:32 pm

Tim,

Well not actually a problem, it is just the way the program works. I suppose I could change it but it is going to cost ya.

You are the only person to tell methat you use the "groups" feature. How about writing me a paragraph or two to tell me how groups works for you? What do you like about it? What surprised you about it? How could it be better? Bonus points for details.

Dale
Dale

Tim

Good

Post by Tim » Wed Jun 15, 2005 6:40 pm

Dale,

I'm shocked to hear about the lack of "groups" use. I love the groups feature!

I use the groups feature to do just what you designed it for--to "replace" a touch screen on a commercially available POS system. I use this POS system at a bar which also serves desserts--it's more of a lounge than a bar. To make matters much easier for the wait staff and bartender, no need to memorize stock numbers.

I've got the stock table organized into 5 groups:
A) Cover charge
B) Beers
C) Mixed drinks
D) Soft drinks
E) Desserts
F) Appetizers

The staff can easily then select what was ordered, instead of having to recall from memory the stock numbers, or look them up, it's a simple two key-press operation for each item.

Again, I like the ability to easily train the staff and make transactions quick even with the limitations of the hardware. Plus, this is easy software to use. I don't like the commercial products, they take too long to configure.

When I first read about the groups feature, I thought there would be more "layers", more menus. However, this method works well too. I mean for instance if I pressed "F" for appetizers, I could be presented with "Hot" or "Cold" then pick an item. Instead, just one option, then directly taken to the stock table.

None of the categories in my stock table are longer than 20 items, so I can't really say anything about difficulty of finding items, I think it's a great feature. One thing I always seem to have trouble with is figuring which lines each of the seperate groups should be on in the stock table. Poor math on my part.

Tim

Dale Harris
Forum Owner

Fixed

Post by Dale Harris » Wed Jun 15, 2005 6:45 pm

Tim,

I have changed the program so that anytime you return from the parking lot you will be back into the "groups" mode. Assuming of course your register uses groups.

This will be in the next release version 6.35 which has been uploaded now.

<center> http://keyhut.com/pos3.htm </center>
Last edited by Dale Harris on Fri Jun 17, 2005 8:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Dale

Dukane
Forum Regular

Post by Dukane » Thu Jun 16, 2005 1:14 pm

Terriffic!

Dukane
Forum Regular

Menu level problem

Post by Dukane » Sat Jul 01, 2006 1:00 pm

Dale,

When I enter an item from the groups menu, I feel that I should be taken back to the groups menu (the top level menu) where I can select from my general categories again. It appears in the latest version, when adding an item from a group, I'm taken back to the second level menu.

For instance, the groups menu appears, and I select "Drinks" from choices of "Snacks", "Drinks", etc... Then I get a list of drinks, such as "Pepsi", "Water". I then add the item to the sale. When the item is added, because the groups feature is the default on my register, the groups come back up. However, I am borught to the second level menu where I can pick "Pepsi", "Water" again. But if I want to add a pretzel, I would have to hit ESC first to get back to the top-level menu again.

Is this by design or by error? I think it would be a lot easier to start from the top-level menu again.

Dukane
Forum Regular

Post by Dukane » Sat Jul 01, 2006 1:23 pm

Nevermind, got it.

Dale Harris
Forum Owner

auto-solve

Post by Dale Harris » Sat Jul 01, 2006 9:48 pm

I just love the problems that solve themselves.
Dale

ChrisKraus
Forum Regular

Post by ChrisKraus » Sun Jul 02, 2006 3:25 pm

TimLight wrote:Is this by design or by error?
That problem was designed to solve itself.
- Chris :)
- Chris
Christopher Kraus