Beta testers wanted for version 6.36. All glory, no pay.

Make comments, ask questions, or just complain about the software on this site. Or comment on any educational software.
Please note that by clicking on links that may appear in these posts that you may be leaving the Dale Harris Educational Software website and that the content of those sites is the sole resposibility of the authors of those sites.

Moderators:daleadmin, Dale Harris, Alan, Andrew

Dale Harris
Forum Owner
Beta testers wanted for version 6.36. All glory, no pay.

Post by Dale Harris » Fri Jul 01, 2005 8:46 pm

I have another snappy little beta test for everyone to try out. It has one new feature.

The problem I am trying to fix is with the "Z" reading. As I hope you know the "Z" reading keeps track of the total net sales since the POS program started running on your computer. It cannot be erased or reset to zero. If you run multiple copies of the POS program for different register files, or in different directories, or even from different drives, the "Z" reading will be shared by all copies of the POS program and will increment when any transaction is rung up from anywhere on the same computer.

OK, so what's the point? Some stores are in malls and the mall charges rent as a percentage of net sales. The mall folks do not want to have to inspect closing receipts, journal rolls, etc. and then do the math to insure that all sales have been recorded. So they take the "Z" reading one day and then a week / month later they take another one. When they then subtract the first reading from the second one they will have the sales for that time period. Since closing the register, resetting sales totals, ringing up sales on multiple copies of the program, etc., will not lose any sale or reset the "Z" reading they can be sure that they have an accurate total of sales for the specified time period.

The only way to mess with the "Z" reading is to replace the computer or C: hard drive, format the C: drive, or somehow track down where the "Z" reading is stored and erase it. (You cannot change it, if you somehow find it you will only find a big encrypted something filled with booby traps. Mess with it and it resets to zero.) All these methods will reset the "Z" reading to zero, which will be highly suspicious if your "Z" reading all of a sudden goes from tens of thousands of dollars to nothing.

So what is the problem? Sales add to the "Z" reading and of course returns and voids subtract from the "Z" reading. It is possible that an unscrupulous store owner could ring up $1200 in sales during the day and then just before closing ring up a $900 return fooling the “Z” reading into thinking that only $300 had been made that day.

My solution to this problem is to have the “Z” reading also record total returns and total voids as separate figures from the “Z” reading. Now if the mall subtracts out the 3 figures and either the returns or the voids are a significant fraction of the sales the shop owner will have some explaining to do.

So I need some testing on this. While the “Z” reading will only display the sales on the closing screen if you choose to print out the “Z” reading it will print the “Z” reading and the “voids” and “return” readings. Subtracting the current readings from a previous reading will give you the total for that time period on each figure. Please note that returns and voids will still be subtracted from the “Z” reading.

To test this feature, first take a current “Z” reading. (If you are unfamiliar with “Z” readings click here http://keyhut.com/postip5.htm#history and scroll down a little.) Now follow the instructions here http://keyhut.com/upgrade.htm#current on installing a new version of the POS software while leaving the current version in place. Download the beta test version 6.35 BETA 1 from this link http://keyhut.com/pos636b1.zip REMEMBER THAT WHILE YOU ARE TESTING THIS VERSION THAT YOU ARE INCREMENTING THE “Z” READING THAT IS SHARED BY ALL COPIES OF THE POS PROGRAM ON YOUR COMPUTER. Do not test this version on a computer requires that the “Z” reading be used to pay actual rent.

Things that I need tested...

Does the new version pick up the current “Z” reading on your computer?

Does the “void” and “return” readings each begin at zero?

When you ring up a sale, void, or return does the “Z” reading add to or subtract from the “Z” reading correctly.

When you ring up a void does it add to the “void” reading correctly?

When you ring up a return does it add to the “return” reading correctly?

Does this program as a whole still run correctly or has this new feature screwed something up?

Please note, the references to the “return” and “void” readings above refer to the readings printed on the “Z” reading receipt printed from the “Close” screen of the POS.EXE program.

I want to release this soon so please get back to me with the results of your beta testing as soon as possible.

Thanks,
Dale
Dale