Setting up posnet help

Make comments, ask questions, or just complain about the software on this site. Or comment on any educational software.
Please note that by clicking on links that may appear in these posts that you may be leaving the Dale Harris Educational Software website and that the content of those sites is the sole resposibility of the authors of those sites.

Moderators:daleadmin, Dale Harris, Alan, Andrew

Tommy
Setting up posnet help

Post by Tommy » Sat Jan 31, 2004 2:00 am

Hi
i need help for setting up posnet.

IF i am going to have a register as a server backup do i set it to a global or local ???
But some times if we are relly bussy we will log in as a register can that be done Or do you need to have 2 copys of pos one for act like a server and the other for a register?

and also i have a server in the back and not going to be use as a register do i still put a network path ? and what do set it on global or local ?

Thanks
Tommy

Andrew
Site Administrator

Post by Andrew » Sat Jan 31, 2004 2:14 am

Any register which is to be used as the server, will of course contain the global folder to store the global data (you run POSCONFG from this folder and set it as GLOBAL).

If you are going to use it as a register too, you need another POS folder (run POSCONFG from this folder and set as LOCAL), from where POS is run, and you point it's network path to the global folder on the hard drive.

This is how I interpret the instructions, if I'm incorrect Dale will correct me.
DHPOS Veteran (from v3.46, July 2002)

Tommy

Post by Tommy » Sat Jan 31, 2004 2:25 am

HI
on the regster that i am going to use as a back up most of the time How do i swith From a Global register to A regaler register if we get to bussy???
2 copy of pos????

Thanks

Yes

Post by Guest » Sat Jan 31, 2004 3:08 am

If you will be ringing sales occasionally on a register that you have assigned as a server you will need two copies of the program on that one machine. For example you may have a folder called POS for the Local files, and a folder called POSNET for your global files. To use the register as an actual register you would run POS from the POS folder, or if you are using the register in Server mode, run POS from the POSNET folder. I suggest setting up your server first with all of your store info in it then copy that data onto each of your register's into the POS folder, this way you don't have to enter your store info on each register (this will save time). Once your Server Global Files are in place and your register files have been copied to each register you will need to go to each register's POS folder and Run POS. You will then need to select option #3 File Maintenance, then #1 Run Posconfg, go into network and set the path to the server. Example c:\posnet\ if this is the register and server machine. Or if it's a networked register you need to supply the path to the server Example f:\posnet\...... Don't forget to choose a differant register letter for each of your register's.