Multiple POS applications...

Make comments, ask questions, or just complain about the software on this site. Or comment on any educational software.
Please note that by clicking on links that may appear in these posts that you may be leaving the Dale Harris Educational Software website and that the content of those sites is the sole resposibility of the authors of those sites.

Moderators:daleadmin, Dale Harris, Alan, Andrew

[chris]
Multiple POS applications...

Post by [chris] » Wed Sep 07, 2005 11:54 am

I work in a small business that sells music and various gifts, etc. We have a lot of CDs (many of them just 1 or 2 of a certain album/title) because we try to adhere to so many different people in our area. The problem I've realized with working towards incorporating DHPOS into our store is that the max items allowed is 13,000 which wouldn't even cover our cd collection. We mainly want to focus on keeping track of inventory with our cd's, dvd's, vhs tapes, posters, and books. Would it be possible to have separate databases or programs for certain categories? For instance, a register for cd's A-M, one for cd's N-Z, one for dvd's and vhs, and another for posters and books... or would that be completely absurd? Keep in mind we're not trying to track all the sales through one register, this is more for inventory control on these particular categories. We would keep using the same register setup we have now for the main store register. I know this makes us sound like a large business but we're really not - we just have a lot of cds :D . Any help would be greatly appreciated and if I've misinterpreted anything about the pos program please let me know.

Thanks.

Chris.

Dale Harris
Forum Owner

Multiple registers

Post by Dale Harris » Wed Sep 07, 2005 6:19 pm

[chris],

When you run the POSCONFG.EXE program you will be asked to pick a register file. If you instead press [TAB] you will be able to create a new register file. You can have up to 138 different register files in the same folder on your hard drive.

Once you have two or more register files in your POS directory when you start the POS program you will be asked to pick the register file you wish to use. So you can start multiple copies of the POS program in different windows and pick a different register file in each. That way when you want to ring up a particular item it is only neccessary pick the correct window to ring it up.
Dale

Bobby
Forum Regular

lexifile

Post by Bobby » Wed Sep 07, 2005 10:10 pm

Hi Chris,

Here is a link to a free dos based library program that is ideal for cataloging your cd collection. It is free, so try it.

http://www.lex.sk.ca/downloads.html

I use it for my movie and music collection at home. Hope that it helps.
Bobby

Dan

Post by Dan » Sun Sep 11, 2005 3:17 pm

Problem with the method suggested is... what do you do if someone buys multiple items? Also, it wouldnt record the sale totals together would it?