Voids

Make comments, ask questions, or just complain about the software on this site. Or comment on any educational software.
Please note that by clicking on links that may appear in these posts that you may be leaving the Dale Harris Educational Software website and that the content of those sites is the sole resposibility of the authors of those sites.

Moderators:daleadmin, Dale Harris, Alan, Andrew

ChrisKraus
Forum Regular
Voids

Post by ChrisKraus » Sat Jan 31, 2004 1:30 pm

As you know, most POS systems let you Void any kind of transaction. Why is this different on DHPOS??? I mean, if you made a mistake on a Return or Payout transaction, What would you do? If you are not able to Void it, it could seriously throw off your drawer count and you would still have incorrect records. This could be a very serious problem over one small mistake.

Just A Suggestion,
Chris :)
<HR>
<center>
VOTE ON THIS - Go To http://www.home-nets.biz/discuss/phpBB2 ... .php?t=110
</center>
Last edited by ChrisKraus on Sun Feb 08, 2004 11:21 am, edited 1 time in total.
- Chris
Christopher Kraus

Pete
Occasional Poster

Post by Pete » Sat Jan 31, 2004 2:12 pm

Chris

In DHPOS you can void off a line or the whole transaction in Payouts and returns.

Unless your running a different version then me, Im running POSnet, but i know that you can void off one line! this then shouldnt mess up the till results, in the back office.
Peter
- England

ChrisKraus
Forum Regular

Voids

Post by ChrisKraus » Sat Jan 31, 2004 4:19 pm

I am using 4.28 - the latest stable version.
Also, I am talking about Voiding whole transactions, Not just lines in the transactions. Voiding transactions after they have been completed by using the 5. Voids feature. Are you allowed to Void all types of transactions in POSnet (Purchased/Returns/Payouts)?

- Chris :)
<HR>
Pete wrote:Chris

In DHPOS you can void off a line or the whole transaction in Payouts and returns.

Unless your running a different version then me, Im running POSnet, but i know that you can void off one line! this then shouldnt mess up the till results, in the back office.
- Chris
Christopher Kraus

Dale Harris
Forum Owner

Voids

Post by Dale Harris » Sun Feb 01, 2004 1:43 am

Chris,

Well, a couple of reasons.

1. I cannot see any reasons why you would want to (or would be allowed to) void opening, closing, or "no sales" transactions. Also voiding an already voided sales transaction is just too weird for me to comprehend as is voiding the actual void. See, it is even confusing to read it. :)

2. A "clean" void of something is a void that makes everything, everywhere, connected to that transaction disappear. A clean void on a return transaction (or payout, which is basically the same thing) turned out to be surprisingly difficult to achieve. So I gave up because it would be better to not be able to void a return than for it not to be "clean." Also I was getting headaches.

3. Then I waited to see how many people would miss voiding returns and complain about it. In the 3 years the program has been out there only one person has complained about it, guess who?

So I guess that at sometime in the future I should recode the program to allow voiding returns. But since the current vote is of 50,000 downloaders not caring about it to one who does, it will not get to the top of the priority list in the next couple of hours.
Dale

ChrisKraus
Forum Regular

Re: Voids

Post by ChrisKraus » Sat Feb 07, 2004 8:01 am

I am not talking about Voiding already voided transactions. This should help the confusion. Also, I am not talking abour Clean voids, I am talking about Voids just like you do with sales in DHPOS.
Dale Harris wrote:Chris,

Well, a couple of reasons.

1. I cannot see any reasons why you would want to (or would be allowed to) void opening, closing, or "no sales" transactions. Also voiding an already voided sales transaction is just too weird for me to comprehend as is voiding the actual void. See, it is even confusing to read it. :)

2. A "clean" void of something is a void that makes everything, everywhere, connected to that transaction disappear. A clean void on a return transaction (or payout, which is basically the same thing) turned out to be surprisingly difficult to achieve. So I gave up because it would be better to not be able to void a return than for it not to be "clean." Also I was getting headaches.

3. Then I waited to see how many people would miss voiding returns and complain about it. In the 3 years the program has been out there only one person has complained about it, guess who?

So I guess that at sometime in the future I should recode the program to allow voiding returns. But since the current vote is of 50,000 downloaders not caring about it to one who does, it will not get to the top of the priority list in the next couple of hours.
- Chris
Christopher Kraus

ChrisKraus
Forum Regular

Voids Poll

Post by ChrisKraus » Sat Feb 07, 2004 8:15 am

<center>
Now You Can Vote On This Topic
Go To: http://www.home-nets.biz/discuss/phpBB2 ... .php?t=110
</center>

<HR>
chriskraus wrote:As you know, most POS systems let you Void any kind of transaction. Why is this different on DHPOS??? I mean, if you made a mistake on a Return or Payout transaction, What would you do? If you are not able to Void it, it could seriously throw off your drawer count and you would still have incorrect records. This could be a very serious problem over one small mistake.

Just A Suggestion,
Chris :)
- Chris
Christopher Kraus

Andrew
Site Administrator

Post by Andrew » Sat Feb 07, 2004 5:24 pm

If you made a mistake on a void or payout transaction - then you weren't very careful. Think about it - if you bugger up a void - which is supposedly to fix a prior mistake - you hav now made 2 stuff ups. Not very professional.

Anyway - isn't it obvious? To reverse a void - you would just re-ring up the sale that was voided. How would POS do that - void is designed to get rid of all traces of a transaction mucked up beyond recognition - not to bring them back.

As for a payout - I'm not sure how to reverse that, I guess it all comes down to common sense (of which I am aware the world is lacking today but however), be more careful.

If you are needing to void transactions other than sales on a regular basis - you have a few troubles in your store which need sorting soon.

At the supermarket where I work, 300 employees, 17 checkouts - we probably ring up 1 transaction void per day. All other tasks are performed by Item Return or Cancel Last (cancel last item scanned). :|
DHPOS Veteran (from v3.46, July 2002)

Dale Harris
Forum Owner

Clean

Post by Dale Harris » Sat Feb 07, 2004 6:27 pm

Chris,

Actually if return voids were allowed you would want them to be "clean." You would not want to void a return and something was not removed from inventory that was put back in by the return. You would want the money added back into the "credit returns" column by the return to be taken back out to the penny by the void, and the taxes fixed, again to the penny. That is what a "Clean" void means, the transaction never happened and everything changed by that transaction is undone, and this applies to voiding both a sale transaction and a return transaction.

As I mentioned earlier getting a clean void on a sale was tough, everything has to be tracked down and killed. A clean void on a return is REALLY tough. How tough? I work for a national retailer and over the years I have had several computer POS systems inflicted upon me. The first thing I do when I get a new one is to ring up a complicated sale (with discounts, reductions, voided lines, coupons, whatever the program will do) and then I void it out and close the register. I then check all the sales info to see if everything comes out all zeros and the merchandise quantities to see if anything has changed (it should not.)

The results? For 34 years I have had a small sign on my register that says, "If you ring up a void on this register I will see to it that you will DIE, soon." :)

Just because your register will allow you to void a transaction does not mean that it is a good idea. I have gone 34 years without ringing up a real void and every day is a good day.
Dale

realy no voids

Post by Guest » Sun Feb 08, 2004 12:31 am

what about new people that make stupid mistacks
eg. (however off topic)
I had a neub ring a check in as cash some how.

basicly if you get by with out voids you are lucky.

Andrew
Site Administrator

Post by Andrew » Sun Feb 08, 2004 2:45 am

Well if a mistake like that is made, and it needs to be rectified - then you would have to void the sale.

However if the sale wasn't completed, I think you could just push cheque and set it as zero (untested).

We do item voids etc, but it is extremely rare to have to void a whole transaction, like I said perhaps 1 per day, and that is probably more than average.

We are also given slips at the end of the week by the cash office which states our balancing for the week, our scan rate (items/minute) and the value of all the items we had to have cancelled (voided/removed from sales, e.g. double scanning etc)...

At the end of my first week I was +35 cents, had a scan rate of 11.61/min and had cancelled goods to the value of $15.

It's fine to make mistakes, however - people should learn from them. I hadn't worked on this system for 3 years, and within a week it has all come flooding back to me, I made mistakes in the first week but my transactions are getting faster and more accurate and I look forward to my 2nd week's cashier slip.

ChrisKraus
Forum Regular

Voids Poll: Update

Post by ChrisKraus » Sun Feb 08, 2004 11:19 am

Well, As you know, I put up a poll for people to vote on this topic.
It's Looking Pretty Good!!!!!!

- Chris
Christopher Kraus

Andrew
Site Administrator

Post by Andrew » Mon Feb 09, 2004 12:24 am

When I checked the voting is pretty even between both ends of the argument.

Besides: Poll result <> Programming result

ChrisKraus
Forum Regular

Post by ChrisKraus » Tue Feb 10, 2004 3:42 pm

Just Press ESC
andrewbunn wrote:However if the sale wasn't completed, I think you could just push cheque and set it as zero (untested).
- Chris
Christopher Kraus