Training register

Make comments, ask questions, or just complain about the software on this site. Or comment on any educational software.
Please note that by clicking on links that may appear in these posts that you may be leaving the Dale Harris Educational Software website and that the content of those sites is the sole resposibility of the authors of those sites.

Moderators:daleadmin, Dale Harris, Alan, Andrew

anwoke8204
Forum Regular
Training register

Post by anwoke8204 » Thu Oct 13, 2005 9:24 pm

Hi, I have a quick question, how do I set up a training register so that it would mirror my regular pos file but not actualy take from my stock table when they ring up sales. I saw that this was possible in the online manual.
Many thanks,
Andrew Stevens
Andrew Stevens
Rooksystems/Clearwater Inc.

Dale Harris
Forum Owner

Training register

Post by Dale Harris » Thu Oct 13, 2005 10:28 pm

There are two ways to do this.

You can just create a new folder and copy all of the files from the regular folder to there. Then when you run the program from the new folder it will not make any changes in the old folder with the "real" register.

If you start up the POSCONFG.EXE you will come to a screen where you are asked to pick the register file that you want. If you press [TAB] you will be allowed to start a new register. However with two register files in the same folder when you go start the POS.EXE program you will also be asked to pick the file that you want.

Which ever method you use, the dummy register should have wildly different information from the real register. Different header, footer, descriptions for the merchandise, etc. so that you can easily tell if the training register is being used as the real register. You should also not allow the training register to print receipts.

One word of caution. Remember that the "Z" reading applies to the computer that is being used as a cash register. Any copy of the register program that is in any folder, on any drive will update the "Z" reading whenever a transaction is completed. This will not be a problem if you do not use the "Z" reading but will be a problem if you do.
Dale

anwoke8204
Forum Regular

training register

Post by anwoke8204 » Thu Oct 13, 2005 11:54 pm

Hi Dale would this also work if the registers were on a network, is there a way to get it to pull the stock table from the Global folder for training purposes. If not how would I copy the stock table to the training folder, cause I have everything set up on a network.
Many thanks,
Andrew Stevens
Andrew Stevens
Rooksystems/Clearwater Inc.

Dale Harris
Forum Owner

Traning

Post by Dale Harris » Fri Oct 14, 2005 3:44 am

Copy the GLOBAL folder to a new folder. Then go into the new folder and change the the setting from GLOBAL to LOCAL.

You should come to chat some time. We could have had all this stuff fixed in about 15 minutes.

Here is the link http://www.home-nets.biz/chat/

I am there almost every night from 8:00 pm to 10:00 pm Chicago (central) time.
Dale

Nick
Forum Regular

Post by Nick » Fri Oct 14, 2005 9:52 pm

As Dale said, make shure that your receipts say somthing to the effect of "VOID" or "NOT A VALID RECEIPT!" on the header or footer. Also I would change the register name to somthing to the effect of "TRAINING" or "OUT OF SERVICE" this way it makes it impossible for someone to mistake the training file with the real file, and reduce the risks of internal theft. We had that problem with my high school entraprenuership class store when someone was putting the register into training to ring up his sales for customers and keep the amounts written down then he pocketed the amout he rang in the training register. The problem was he still used the normal mode so it looked ok untill inventory roled around.

-Nick