Using DH-POS on IBM 4690 POS Hardware

Business to Business forum: offer your wares here. You can offer up whatever it is your business has to offer as long as it would appeal to small businesses. Disclaimer: we have not tested or verified the products of anyone who posts here, this is simply for informational purposes. Buyer beware.

Moderators:daleadmin, Andrew

aj
Using DH-POS on IBM 4690 POS Hardware

Post by aj » Wed Dec 14, 2005 12:39 am

Can anyone answer this... my business partner and I just bought an IBM 4690 POS Terminal as part of a retailer's liquidation and were able to get the POS Terminal AND the Symbol scanner for a TOTAL of $160 (we know one of the store managers at the store)! A VERY good deal considering this is the POS most major chain retailers are starting to migrate from after at least 15 years as the standard. My question is this... does ANYONE know if I will be able to run DH-POS on this terminal? The terminal runs on DOS (so I would assume so) and has a floppy disc drive (so I am guessing I can load it). Has anyone done similar on an actual POS terminal as opposed to a PC?

If anybody is looking for VERY good deals on an IBM POS terminal I would HIGHLY recommend stopping by the Casual Corner or Petite Sophisticate store in your local mall. The liquidator is asking $150 - $250 for the POS Terminals. The scanners they want $50 - $75 for. Like I said I DO NOT know if DH-POS will work on these machines but if anybody does know, please drop me a reply here.

Thanks,
-A :)

grahamsw
Forum Regular

We need info to help you

Post by grahamsw » Wed Dec 14, 2005 3:25 pm

AJ,
Hi, first tell us what OS the terminal is running, Then give us some info about the ports on the machiene. i am going to try to find some data to help the other people who might help you.

Let us know about this

Graham
:D :D :D

Andrew
Site Administrator

Post by Andrew » Wed Dec 14, 2005 4:38 pm

He said it has DOS and a floppy disk drive.
DHPOS Veteran (from v3.46, July 2002)

grahamsw
Forum Regular

if it has dos.........

Post by grahamsw » Thu Dec 15, 2005 12:00 am

If it has DOS it will run DHPOS, If it has a floppy drive, you can transfer the file to the register. I would reccomnd putting at least win 95 on it wich u can do using the floppy. this would make unzipping the files easier and startup easier. Please tell me more about the ports on the machiene, If there isn't a printer (centronics parallel) port on it, Then it would be hard to print

Hope it helps

Graham
Graham Wakefield
Wakefield Tech Services and Mobile POS

AJ

Will gt Win 95 and load to IBM POS Terminal

Post by AJ » Thu Dec 15, 2005 1:36 am

Graham:

Thanks for your advice on this. I have very little experience in DOS. From using the DHPOS program though it seems really simple! How would I load this from my Windows XP PC to a DOS IBM POS terminal? I am not really good with loading software and related activities. Would I even be able to do that w/o Win 95? Based on what you have advised I am trying to figure out what steps I would need to take to do this as painlessly as possible :)

We don't get posession of the machine until January when the store closes but I will try to stop in there and find out.

Thanks for your help so far

ibmsystems
Forum Regular

Post by ibmsystems » Thu Dec 15, 2005 6:00 pm

Hello,

Well first i did the same thing and i'm using dhpos on an ibm 4694-I000

hmmm my advice is to go but win 95 load it on the terminal (externial cd drive) $30 Go on your pc download dhpos write to CD pop in the terminals external cd drive copy to C: wala! DHPOS On An IBM Terminal Well At Least Thats How i did it! :D

AJ

This is good to know this can be done

Post by AJ » Thu Dec 15, 2005 7:44 pm

Thanks ibmsystems for your reply. The exact model of terminal we have is 4694-244. I don't know how recent a model this one was. You can use an External CD drive? Like a plug and play? If so, this is good news. I was going to just buy Win95 on 3.5 floppy on ebay but if I can do this w/ a CD drive it may be easier. Also... do you know what codes I will need to get the cash drawer to pop open? The terminal that we purchased also does not come with a pole display but I am sure I can pick one up on ebay as well. Is it easy to configure these to DHPOS?

Sorry for all of the questions... I am not that much of a whiz on computers or loading software programs, etc... it is a miracle I was able to get iTunes to work :)

Thanks for your help,
AJ

ibmsystems
Forum Regular

Post by ibmsystems » Thu Dec 15, 2005 8:06 pm

Yes it is you just have to know it's buad rate etc which you tell dhpos in posconig.exe also if you have a camera or some way to take a pic can you take a pic of the terminals back cover and e-mail it to thejetman06@gmail.com if you can i can tell you if you can use an external CD drive or if not there should be ports on the back such as "9B 9A 6A 3C" please list those here if you cant send a pic As far as cash drawer codes please tell me if the C drawer hooks up via printer or serial (or other) connection.

Wating For A Reply,
IBM

AJ

DHPOS to IBM 4694

Post by AJ » Thu Dec 15, 2005 10:01 pm

We do not take posession of the terminal until January when the store that uses it closes. The store manager may let me take a look at the back of it, but they have been very busy (a 60% off sale at a women's clothing store during the Holidays). If I can not get this info in the next few days I will shoot for the beginning of January. I have your contact email so I may be in touch promptly on here or via email after 1st of the year.

Thanks for your willingness to help. It is very much appreciated.

I will keep you posted.

Thanks,
AJ

AJ

Ports on back of 4694-244 POS Terminal

Post by AJ » Fri Dec 16, 2005 4:44 pm

ibmsystems:

I ran up to the store today to have a look at the ports on the back of the terminal and the ones I saw with were letters, #'s, and letter # combos were:

A
B
9/E
3A
3B

That was all that I could see as the manager had to pull the unit a few inches off the counter so I could see.

Hopefully this tells you something about the terminal.

Thanks,
Adam

ibmsystems
Forum Regular

Post by ibmsystems » Fri Dec 16, 2005 7:01 pm

Yes this helps if you rember please tell me what was plugged in to any of those ports also if you saw any USB or serial ports

AJ

The ports on the back of the IBM 4694-144

Post by AJ » Mon Jan 23, 2006 10:20 pm

Hi.. well, I finally got the POS terminal in posession today and ports being used on the back are:

7 (this is what the receipt printer plugs into)
3A (this is what the cash drawer plugs into)
9/E (this is where the Symbol Scanning gun plugs in... I am not sure if I am going to use the scanning gun or not)

The mouse (that I added) and keyboard both plug into unmarked PS/2 Connectors.

There are no USB ports, the open connection ports are: A, B, 5, 4, 3B,

I loaded Windows 95 to the machine, but my Disk 11 is bad so I couldn't load DH-POS.

Do you know if receipts will print with this configuration?

Thanks,
Adam

ibmsystems
Forum Regular

Post by ibmsystems » Tue Jan 24, 2006 1:23 am

hmmm this is intresting (p.s welcome back :) ) if you look on the back of the terminal is there anything that looks like a free expnsion area where you could pop out a piece of the metal plastic whatever it is made out of also this would be a good thing for the IBM Guy to help with if so please let me know also if you can tell me the model # of the symbol scanner

Cash Drawer> There is a possible way to get the cash drawer to work of which will take some work i do suggest if you can you join us in DHPOS chat tommarow night as i can help you

Printer> If possible get the model # for me

If your wondering why i ask for the model numbers of everything is beacuse it helps me try to picture the terminals setup so we can get it working at its best or max or what ever you can call a really good setup for dhpos

-IBMsystems

ibmsystems
Forum Regular

Post by ibmsystems » Tue Jan 24, 2006 3:14 pm

Another question what is disk 11??

The IBM Guy
Forum Regular

Post by The IBM Guy » Tue Jan 24, 2006 4:35 pm

Service disk