Using DH-POS on IBM 4690 POS Hardware

Business to Business forum: offer your wares here. You can offer up whatever it is your business has to offer as long as it would appeal to small businesses. Disclaimer: we have not tested or verified the products of anyone who posts here, this is simply for informational purposes. Buyer beware.

Moderators:daleadmin, Andrew

The IBM Guy
Forum Regular

Post by The IBM Guy » Tue Jan 24, 2006 4:35 pm

4690 systems come with the Model 2 printer.

ibmsystems
Forum Regular

Post by ibmsystems » Tue Jan 24, 2006 4:40 pm

Thanks for that will get on it

AJ

Using DH-POS on IBM 4690 POS Hardware

Post by AJ » Tue Jan 24, 2006 11:20 pm

Hello all:

Thanks so much for all of the replies to help me get this terminal loaded with DHPOS.

Just a few general pieces of info:

The back of the terminal (this one is a 4694-144) looks identical to the back of the one that IBM Guy shows for sale in the UK. The printer also looks like the one pictured, but I am not sure of it is a 4, 4A, or 4R (as I have seen a few different versions listed). The date of manufacture is listed as W29-1997.

There is also a plate of some sort popped on that looks like its is covering some kind of ports or area that would accomodate ports that are not installed. Also, this is the larger footprint version of this terminal with full keyboard. It also has a monitor instead of the pole display.

Oh, and the disks I was referring to (Disk 11) is the Disk in the Windows 95 software I was loading to the POS terminal so I can load DHPOS. My apologies for not being very clear on this and not having a ton of knowledge on these types of issues... that is why I am trying to enlist the help of you experts :)

Anything I need to do to get the terminal functional with DHPOS that you all can advise is much appreciated.

Thanks,
AJ

ibmsystems
Forum Regular

Post by ibmsystems » Wed Jan 25, 2006 12:02 am

ok this is VERY good news AJ if you can take the terminal apart to get to the mother board look to see if there is a slot next to the empty port area if so go to your nearst compUSA or simmlar store and get a USB adaptar card so you can but USB in the terminal the card will be anywhere from 10.00 - 30.00 a generic brand will do fine than if you have a USB cd drive use it or if not you can purhcase one also before getting the CD drive look to see if there is a LAN port so you can connect to the internet beacuse if so you can just download POS and cofig

Good Luck!
IBM

AJ

Post by AJ » Wed Jan 25, 2006 9:07 pm

Hi ibmsytems... I have never really taken a computer apart before. I have DHPOS that I can load from floppy disks once I have the Disk 11 I need for Windows 95. That should work, right?

Just one question... what exactly do I need the USB adapter card for? Will I be connecting anything else here that did not come with the terminal that I need to get?

I also need to know how I get the terminal to print receipts, pop open drawer and cut receipts (the printer has a cutting bar).

Thanks,
AJ

ibmsystems
Forum Regular

Post by ibmsystems » Wed Jan 25, 2006 10:10 pm

ok if ya got a disk 11 and can get DHPOS on there that will be good ok i'm on hold right now with IBM to try to find a way to get the RS-428 to work with DHPOS

ibmsystems
Forum Regular

Post by ibmsystems » Wed Jan 25, 2006 10:59 pm

ok got it if you got e-mail will send it to ya

AJ

Post by AJ » Wed Jan 25, 2006 11:31 pm

Cool... thanks for looking into this. I can be emailed at

sendthemhere@gmail.com

Look forward to seeing what you have found out about this.

Thanks,
AJ

ibmsystems
Forum Regular

Post by ibmsystems » Thu Jan 26, 2006 4:05 am

ooops sorry about this it is 2:08 AM Here in arizona so i gotta get to bed i'm getting up in 4 HRS!!!!!

AJ

Post by AJ » Thu Jan 26, 2006 10:11 pm

No problem... when you get a chance to send it that would be great.

Thanks,
Adam

ibmsystems
Forum Regular

Post by ibmsystems » Fri Jan 27, 2006 6:23 pm

I think its sent my mail server has been acting "quezy" lately so i'm not positive let me know

AJ

Post by AJ » Fri Jan 27, 2006 7:53 pm

has not reached my email yet but will check again shortly. Thanks.

AJ

Post by AJ » Sun Jan 29, 2006 8:00 pm

Hi ibmsystems:

The email you were going to send to me at sendthemhere@gmail.com
still has not arrived. I figured I would wait a few days as you had said late last week you were having some email issues. Would you be abe to try to resend? Does it look like DH-POS will work on these machines to the point I can print receipts and open the cash drawer thru the program or is that not looking so good?

Thanks.

ibmsystems
Forum Regular

Post by ibmsystems » Mon Jan 30, 2006 1:25 am

hmmmmm this has a 50/50 chance of working in windows and you look at your system ports does it show any RS-485 ports?

AJ

Post by AJ » Mon Jan 30, 2006 2:45 am

Hi ibmsystems... can you tell me what exactly an RS485 port looks like? It could have them, but I don't want to say yes as I am not for certain.