Suggestion about Chat.

For any non-pos posts you wish to post.

Moderators:daleadmin, Alan, Andrew

ibmsystems
Forum Regular
Suggestion about Chat.

Post by ibmsystems » Wed Apr 11, 2007 12:30 pm

I had a suggestion about chat that i made about a year ago and thought i should bring it back up again. It is that i think that DHPOS Chat should be moved onto IRC. Mainly because with IRC there is no refreshing. and many sites now offer a little script that you paste into a standard HTML page and your done, or just point a link to there site (http://www.theresite.com/chat/dhpos) for example.

I think that this would be good as it will save a PILE of bandwidth and it also means no more SQL / php etc errors. and if for some reason this site goes down, The room will still be open to anyone who goes to the URL, Or uses an IRC Client.

Andrew
Site Administrator

Post by Andrew » Thu Apr 12, 2007 1:47 am

Considering the small number of people who visit chat, I don't consider this a major need. Chat works fine for me on firefox, even better on IE - and it doesn't require users to install a chat client or register. I doubt using IRC would increase chat visitors, 99% of the time the lack of chatters is due to the wide timezone differences.

Sure, we could get a web-based IRC chat - but that's still just as prone as the current webserver to outages and problems. Jon supplies the forum and chatroom out of his own pocket, I think it would be a bit of a slap in the face to abandon his generosity.

Besides, we'd still need an IRC server.
DHPOS Veteran (from v3.46, July 2002)