Need POS printer and cash drawer

For any non-pos posts you wish to post.

Moderators:daleadmin, Alan, Andrew

tomrubyc
Need POS printer and cash drawer

Post by tomrubyc » Sat Oct 17, 2009 5:40 am

I have DHPOS software up and running on my laptop. I need a receipt printer and attaching cash drawer that will work with DHPOS. Prefer USB connection. Any suggestions?

daleadmin
Forum Owner

Re: Need POS printer and cash drawer

Post by daleadmin » Sat Oct 17, 2009 6:25 pm

tomrubyc,

The best way to go is a parallel port receipt printer, then you will not have to run the APRINT4.EXE program to print. However that is not an option if your laptop does not have a parallel port.

Personally I use this set of printer and cash drawer http://www.posworld.com/daleharris-bundles.html The printer is built like a tank and just keeps running. It does not have printing options that cost more but DHPOS does not support. It also comes in a USB version.

The other choice is between a impact printer or a thermal printer. That is your choice. An impact printer costs less, the paper is less, it requires ink ribbons, is slower and noiser but the receipts do not fade over time and you can print on multi-ply paper. A thermal printer costs more, the paper costs more but does not require an ink ribbon, is faster and quieter but the receipts will fade to unreadability over time, will print on only single ply paper. Personally I use the impact printer.

If you want to connect the cash drawer to the printer (an excellent idea) you will need to know the code the printer requires to pop open the cash drawer. You have two options. You can try to find the code for the printer you purchase and good luck with that. Or you can purchase one of the printers listed on this page http://keyhut.com/popopen.htm that has the codes listed.

The only consideration for the cash drawer is that it will have a cable that will connect to the printer. Make sure that you tell your cash drawer supplier what kind of printer it will be plugging into.

Dale

tomrubyc

Re: Need POS printer and cash drawer

Post by tomrubyc » Sat Oct 17, 2009 6:55 pm

Thanks Dale. I have now ordered a Dale Harris bundle from POS World. The software looks great. I am using it for my wife's new little business whereby she sells fabric, books and patterns at quilt shows. I really appreciate the software after having looked a lot at Sharp machines and Intuit POS software. This makes a lot more sense.

Tom Collier