Its the Apocalypse! Dale must join facebook.

For any non-pos posts you wish to post.

Moderators:daleadmin, Alan, Andrew

daleadmin
Forum Owner
Its the Apocalypse! Dale must join facebook.

Post by daleadmin » Tue Feb 26, 2013 12:44 am

I am a member of the 6 Corners Association and we are going to be celebrating the 75th anniversary of the local Sears store. This will require community participation and the association has decided to open a facebook page for it. Since I am chairman of the promotions committee I will have to moderate the discussion and be able to delete the troll messages that will undoubtedly be posted. To accomplish this function it has been impressed on me that I will have to unwillingly join facebook.

I am not happy about this. I still do not get the concept of facebook. What does it do? What is it for? If someone wants to get in contact with me they can call me, send me an email or letter, or just come over and bang on my door. Why do they need facebook?

Anyway, since I do not understand the point of facebook the facebook website is completely unhelpful in answering my concerns about joining. It assumes that I know things about facebook that are completely beyond my comprehension.

Following is a complete list of what I want from joining...

1. I want to be able to participate in and moderate the discussion about the 75 anniversary, ie, I would be able to post text and photos and be able to delete text and photos posted by anyone. Someone else would actually set up this site on facebook and then give me (and some others) the access codes.

That is the end of what I want from facebook.

I do realize that in order to accomplish the above that I would have to join facebook. This has been explained to me in increasing strident tones by folks that have become more and more peeved at me by my continuing repetition of the phrase, "Do I really have to?"

Things I do not want from facebook...

Anything else!

So I have some questions.

When I join facebook must I have a facebook page for myself?
If so can I post nothing on it?
Can I prevent everyone else from posting anything on it?
Do I have to use my real name to join?
Can I reject everyone from being my friend, or even better, prevent them from even knowing I exist?
Why would I want to be friends with someone I do not know and have never met and if I do know them why would they have to use facebook to contact me?
Can I prevent everyone from "liking" my page?
What happens if they like it?
Can I prevent everyone from seeing my page?
If I do things on the anniversary page will that be commented on my page? How do I prevent this?
If the unthinkable happens and something is posted on my page will facebook retain it even after I have deleted it?
How do I prevent that?
Will facebook (or anyone) be able to post things on my page that I cannot delete?
There is a lot of talk on facebook about "privacy" controls. Can they be set so high that even I cannot see my page?
Ok, how about setting the privacy controls so only I can see my page?
Is there a control that can be set that if someone searched facebook for me or my page that neither would show up in the search results?
If someone on the anniversary page clicks on my name will they go to my page? How do I prevent that?
I showed this list to a couple of people and they commented that I am not understanding the spirit or point of facebook. OK, what is the spirit or point of facebook? Why does it exist?
Looking at the above list, what other questions should I be asking that I know nothing about?
When November arrives can I delete everything from my facebook page (including the page itself) and leave no trace that I was ever there?
Why is facebook incapable of answering these questions?

As you can see, I've got questions, have you got answers?

Dale

crawdaddy

Re: It the Apocalypse! Dale must join facebook.

Post by crawdaddy » Wed Feb 27, 2013 7:46 pm

When I join facebook must I have a facebook page for myself?
Yes you must have a page for yourself
If so can I post nothing on it?
you sure can have a page full of nothing
Can I prevent everyone else from posting anything on it?
yessir, you just have to change your privacy settings.
Do I have to use my real name to join?
not neccessarily, you can have the name D Idontreallywantotbeonfacebook Harris
Can I reject everyone from being my friend, or even better, prevent them from even knowing I exist?
you sure can, those changes are made in your privacy settings
Why would I want to be friends with someone I do not know and have never met and if I do know them why would they have to use facebook to contact me?
Can I prevent everyone from "liking" my page?
you don't have to be friends with stranger danger. they would use facebook to contact you because facebook is full of creeps.
What happens if they like it?
nothing 'happens', you just have a like
Can I prevent everyone from seeing my page?
u sure can! you set your profile up son the only person that can see it is you... or is it that you can change your posts so that the only one that can see them is you. either way, you can be virtually (literally) anonymous
If I do things on the anniversary page will that be commented on my page?
things you post on the anniversary page will only be commented on on the anniversary page
How do I prevent this?
you don't have to
If the unthinkable happens and something is posted on my page will facebook retain it even after I have deleted it?
quite possibly
How do I prevent that?
you can't, unfortunately
Will facebook (or anyone) be able to post things on my page that I cannot delete?
nope, things posted on your page can be deleted, it's your page, you basically 'control' what is posted on it
There is a lot of talk on facebook about "privacy" controls. Can they be set so high that even I cannot see my page?
then what's the point of being on facebook!? no, seriously, they cannot set that high, they can be set high enough that only you can see the things that you post though
Ok, how about setting the privacy controls so only I can see my page?
see previous comments about privacy settings blah blah blah
Is there a control that can be set that if someone searched facebook for me or my page that neither would show up in the search results?
yup
If someone on the anniversary page clicks on my name will they go to my page?
yes
How do I prevent that?
honestly, I'm not sure
I showed this list to a couple of people and they commented that I am not understanding the spirit or point of facebook. OK, what is the spirit or point of facebook?
facebook was originally created for college students to network with each other. you could discuss classes, professors, etc. but then it expanded and became a space that everyone could network and mingle socially with people that they knew, or people that knew people they knew. eventually it became stupid... and is stupid.
Why does it exist?
see previous comment, i accidentally answered both questions at the same time, sorry.
Looking at the above list, what other questions should I be asking that I know nothing about?
no more questions, this list was long
When November arrives can I delete everything from my facebook page (including the page itself) and leave no trace that I was ever there?
nope, you always have the option to reactivate your page that was 'deleted
Why is facebook incapable of answering these questions?
because everyone is on facebook, this is 'common knowledge'

Hopefully this was helpful.

-Deangelo's Wife. :D

brucef2112
Forum Regular

Re: Its the Apocalypse! Dale must NOT join facebook!

Post by brucef2112 » Sat Mar 02, 2013 3:24 am

Dale,
So many headaches.
To avoid all this you may want to consider just stepping down as the chairman. One simple act and all this goes away! :lol:
Later,
Bruce

They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety."
Benjamin Franklin - Historical Review of Pennsylvania, 1759

daleadmin
Forum Owner

Re: Its the Apocalypse! Dale must join facebook.

Post by daleadmin » Sat Mar 02, 2013 11:14 am

Deangelo's Wife,

Thanks for the info. If I need help with the actual setting of the controls I will post here.

Facebook seems to do a fine job of telling you how to do stuff on facebook but but falls way short on telling someone why anyone would want to do anything there, or what you can do while you are there, or even why someone would want to be a member.

A couple of years ago I did join Linkedin thinking that it would be sort of a "facebook lite" and would introduce me to the concept of social media. However in the time since the only thing that has happened is that hundreds of people who I do not know have asked to link to me all of which I have ignored.

I have allowed links to a few people I do know but I never contact them through Linkedin. If I want to talk to them I call them on the phone. Strangely enough calling them on the phone seems to work quite well. I ask them why they are on Linkedin and why did they link to me there when they can just call me on the phone but their explanations made no sense to me at all.

Every couple of months I log into Linkedin to see if there is anything there, there isn't. I have no idea what the purpose of Linked in is. I guess that the concept of social media is beyond my comprehension.

Dale

daleadmin
Forum Owner

Post by daleadmin » Sat Mar 02, 2013 11:17 am

Bruce,

That would be an excellent plan however I am not only the chairman but celebrating the 75th was my idea and so far I am the driving force behind it. If I bailed on it the whole thing would die.

Dale

daleadmin
Forum Owner

Post by daleadmin » Sat Mar 02, 2013 11:53 am

I forgot.

The social media guy has also suggested that we post the plans on something called "Nextdoor" so maybe I will not have to deal with facebook. But unfortunately I think he still wants to have a facebook page also because, uh, well I really have no idea why. Maybe when I am forced to participate and have done it for a while a lightbulb will go off above my head but I really doubt that. I will probably spend all of my time there impersonating a deer in the headlights, ie, how the heck did I get here and what is going to happen next?

So the guy tells me that Nextdoor is sort of like Everyblock where you post something and that starts a discussion below the post in the form of more posts by other people. Sort of like this forum. Well that I can do. So I went over to Nextdoor.com to take a look and guess what. YOU CANNOT ENTER UNTIL YOU JOIN. So I cannot look around at the posts already there (which I could on Everyblock) to see if I want to join. Why does the universe hate me? Why must this be so hard? Let me look around and if I like what I see I may sign up.

Or here is an idea. Just use phpBB to set up a forum for the 75th. People can look around there (like on this forum) to see what is happening and then if they decide that they want to post they can register. I can do this (well not create the forum but I sure do know how to use it.) So I talked to the guy and he told me that, "But that is not social media and we need to be on social media."

[Sigh]

Dale

daleadmin
Forum Owner

Post by daleadmin » Tue Mar 05, 2013 7:25 pm

I am SO dead.

Well it looks like this 75th anniversary thing is going to happen. There was no mention at today's meeting about setting up a facebook account for it, but it is only a matter of time. So my question is, should I join up now, wait for the inevitable in the hope that the inevitable will not show up, or try to catch that space ship to Sirius or anyplace else that facebook does not operate?

Dale

brucef2112
Forum Regular

Post by brucef2112 » Wed Mar 06, 2013 11:20 pm

Dale,
Catch that space ship to Sirius. In the least, you can get out of being social and you may find somewhere along the way that you may want to stop and stay awhile before getting to Sirius. But I'd check with the Travel Gnome just to make sure.
Later,
Bruce

They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety."

daleadmin
Forum Owner

Post by daleadmin » Thu Mar 07, 2013 12:01 am

There has been progress on the social media front. I have finally figured out how to close my Linkedin account so I am no longer there.

I now have no social media access whatsoever. For me, this is progress.

Let's see how long this can last.

Dale

daleadmin
Forum Owner

Post by daleadmin » Tue Mar 12, 2013 4:42 pm

The deed has been done, I am now an unwilling member of facebook.

However it may not be so bad. I looked up my name while there and it seems as though there are a whole pile of "Dale Harris"s on Facebook so since there is nothing on my page, no photo, no profile, no posts, it may be really difficult to find me there.

So here is the challenge, if you are on facebook (my sympathies) go there and try to find my page. It will be the "Dale Harris" page with nothing on it. If you do manage to find it try to post something there, send me a message, friend me, or do anything else. Hopefully you will fail miserably. However no matter what the result report back here with what happened because it is quite likely that I will never visit my page again.

Dale

brucef2112
Forum Regular

Post by brucef2112 » Wed Mar 13, 2013 12:28 am

I sent a message.
But if you never return to facebook, you'll never know.
Now your thinking, did he really send a message?!? Is it a trick to get me to facebook again?!? ...just to find notttthhhing....
*ghhhhrrrrr*
What if holds the same interest as messages from my Nigerian friends.
How can this be resolved?!?!?!

ohh, and by the way, Dale, i can see that you are Male. :oops:
Later,
Bruce

daleadmin
Forum Owner

Post by daleadmin » Wed Mar 13, 2013 12:46 am

Bruce,

Well you did manage to somehow find my page. I did get your message and that is a bummer because it means that other people can send me a message. Do you know if there is anyway to prevent that? Someone else also found my page a few minutes after you and I have no idea who he is. I hope he does not get mad when I do not reply to him.

I have been male for quite a while now and I have never tried to hide that fact.

I guess that I will have to return to my page whenever I sign on to facebook so that I can post on the 75th page. It is where facebook takes me after I sign in.

Dale

brucef2112
Forum Regular

Post by brucef2112 » Thu Mar 14, 2013 9:26 pm

Well, with your assistance of the fact your account had nothing. Finding you was pretty easy. I did a look-up for "Dale Harris". A short list of "Dale"s came up and I figured you must be the one with the"shadow face". I clicked it and then clicked Message and you know the rest!
I don't know if you can remove the "Message" button from your page or not. At this point your depth of knowledge about Facebook far exceeds mine (And I am fine with that).

Good Luck!
Later,
Bruce