DHPOS on 64 bit computers

Make comments, ask questions, or just complain about the software on this site. Or comment on any educational software.
Please note that by clicking on links that may appear in these posts that you may be leaving the Dale Harris Educational Software website and that the content of those sites is the sole resposibility of the authors of those sites.

Moderators:daleadmin, Dale Harris, Alan, Andrew

daleadmin
Forum Owner
DHPOS on 64 bit computers

Post by daleadmin » Sat Feb 24, 2007 12:55 am

DHPOS will not run directly on 64 bit computers running under any version of Windows.

However I have just run across this...
<hr>
Recent versions of NT for x64 architectures, including Windows XP Professional x64 Edition, Windows Server 2003 x64 and Windows Vista x64, no longer include the NTVDM and can therefore no longer natively run MS-DOS (or 16-bit Windows) applications. For MS-DOS programs, however, there exist alternatives in the form of emulators such as VMWare, Bochs, DOSBox, etc.
<hr>

Does anyone out there with a 64 bit computer want to try out VMWare, Bochs, or DOSBox and see if DHPOS will then run on their 64 bit computer and then let us know what happens?

Dale

ProDeZigner
Forum Regular

Post by ProDeZigner » Sat Jul 28, 2007 1:58 am

I just want to state that DHPOS will work on 64-bit processors, JUST NOT 64-BIT OPERATING SYSTEMS...

I'm running Vista Basic Home on a AMD Athlon 64 X2 in 32-bit and it runs it just fine.

Just to let everyone know.

Grahamw
Forum Regular

Post by Grahamw » Sat Oct 20, 2007 7:19 am

i can echo that. I am running on a amd athlon 64 processor and dhpos runs just fine

Alan
POS Guru

Actually

Post by Alan » Wed Oct 24, 2007 6:09 pm

The AMD Athlon 64 is a 64bit processor that can run 32bit software, the Intel Core Duo can also run 64bit software.

What Dale is referring to is PCs running completely at 64bit, ie an Athlon 64 or Intel Core Duo (using 64bit) running Windows XP or Vista 64bit editions.

The DOS Prompt has been emulated on NT/2000/XP/Vista since day one, BUT the 64bit versions of Windows have this feature missing, hence the need for a 3rd party emulator.

I'm wondering if Microsoft Virtual PC (now free) would work. The main problem is getting the Serial and Parallel ports to work!

Alan

wolf1047

Re: DHPOS on 64 bit computers

Post by wolf1047 » Sun Aug 24, 2008 10:00 am

Microsoft virtual pc and vmware both give you access to the physical serial port and the printer port. i never had much luck with virtual pc accessing physical ports but vmware has worked flawlessly

jody2274

Post by jody2274 » Tue Oct 28, 2008 4:44 pm

I have been running DHPOS using DosBox on an AMD Athalon 64 X2 with XP for about 6 months. Everything has been working good, no problems to report. I sometimes have problems with the receipt printer but I am using a USB to Parallel adapter so I think that is the problem. The first receipt printed after starting up the program comes out with really big text, no worries I just execute a no sale and then it works fine.

daleadmin
Forum Owner

Post by daleadmin » Sun Jan 03, 2010 12:39 am

We now have a tested solution to 64 bits.

http://http://keyhut.com/64bit.htm

Dale

daleadmin
Forum Owner

Post by daleadmin » Sun Jan 03, 2010 2:15 pm

BTW, Running DHPOS under DOSBox will also allow you to run DHPOS full screen on even non-64 bit systems.

Read this http://http://keyhut.com/64bit.htm

Dale

Tyler

Post by Tyler » Sun Jan 03, 2010 4:34 pm

Note that networking on DOSBox will make ringing up sales a little slower on less ideal networks.

The reason being-DOSBox has to go back through windows to access the network share. While there is a way to map network drives directly in DOSBox, this is very unstable as of the .73 release, and, from my experience, is even slower than doing it the way I described.

So, if you have an older 10 megabit network, or are running your network over phone lines (why would you do that?), DHPOS is probably going to respond very slowly when ringing up items or looking up employees (when typing in PINS).

100 megabit networks respond just as well as if you weren't emulating DHPOS. At my house, where I tested this, I ran it between two wireless computers, around 54mb...DHPOS was a little slow, but after the employee PIN was entered, ringing up items was not a problem.

Tyler