Moving from Win98 to XP on a different machine

Make comments, ask questions, or just complain about the software on this site. Or comment on any educational software.
Please note that by clicking on links that may appear in these posts that you may be leaving the Dale Harris Educational Software website and that the content of those sites is the sole resposibility of the authors of those sites.

Moderators:daleadmin, Dale Harris, Alan, Andrew

fabianobrien
Moving from Win98 to XP on a different machine

Post by fabianobrien » Thu Apr 29, 2010 11:36 am

Hello!
This is my first visit and posting to this forum.
I looked around and couldn't find the exact answer to my question so here it is:

I'm currently in the process of upgrading the computers in a local business that's running your POS software.
Three office computers currently running XP will be upgraded to Win7. There are two computers in the store itself, both running Win98.
One of those Win98 machines runs the POS.
The computer that is currently running the POS is frequently freezing. This may or may not be caused by hardware failure but we've decided to upgrade anyway.
So, I'm looking in to a fresh install of the POS onto one of the XP machines from the office.

This business has a large inventory of 1000s of items.
I'm uncertain of which POS version is running on the machine. I will have to get there and see.

My question is:
Is it possible to transfer the inventory and/or settings to the new install?
Is it simply a matter of copying the entire folder over to the new computer?
Will the POS recognize the new folder's contents?

Any and all help is appreciated!
Thanks!
Fabian

Dukane
Forum Regular

Re: Moving from Win98 to XP on a different machine

Post by Dukane » Thu Apr 29, 2010 7:43 pm

Fabian I can say with 90% certainty that all you need to do is copy over the entire POS directory to the new computer and you will be back in business.

daleadmin
Forum Owner

Post by daleadmin » Fri Apr 30, 2010 5:19 am

fabianobrien,

What version of my POS software are you using. It may be possible to solve your problem just by upgrading the software to the current version. Versions 5.?? did have a problem of sometimes freezing or dying between sales so switching to a new computer will not help if you have one of those versions.

If want to just switch what you have to another computer the easiest way would be to use a USB stick drive and copy the entire folder you use to store the the POS program files (and all sub-folders). This will probably require 100 meg or more on the stick drive. The simplist way to make the copy is to use the Windows "My Computer" feature. Once the folders are on the stick drive move the drive to the new computer and use "My Computer" on the new computer to copy the folders to the new computer's C: drive.

If you just want to copy the minimum then download the latest version and install it on the new computer. Or if you have a really old version and are worried about the old datafiles working with the new version you can find old version of the software here http://dhpos.com/old_ver.htm But usually the old data files will work with the current version. Tell me what version you have. Now you have to copy the register data files to the folder you just created to hold the POS program files on your new computer, read this about file names http://keyhut.com/faq.htm#filename You can copy all the files that begin with your register's file name or if you just want to copy the register setup and the stock table then copy these files ???????.POS, ???????.TBL, and ??????.IDX

Dale

fabianobrien

Post by fabianobrien » Fri Apr 30, 2010 8:46 am

Hey guys!
Thanks for all the help!

I'm thinking it should be a relatively simple procedure but I'll let you guys know if I have any questions.
I do have the luxury of being able to experiment a little because it's on a separate machine.

Thanks again!

fabianobrien

Post by fabianobrien » Mon May 03, 2010 11:16 am

I'm doing the switch-over this evening.
Just one quick question...
Will anything have to be re-configured as far as printers, terminals, etc goes?
Or, if I'm simply reattaching the old peripherals, will they be recognized right away?

Thanks again!

daleadmin
Forum Owner

Post by daleadmin » Mon May 03, 2010 5:48 pm

There should be no problems with the old peripherals. The only exception is if you have a Pertilian X2040 pole display. You will have to install the Pertilean software.

Dale

fabianobrien

Post by fabianobrien » Mon May 03, 2010 9:42 pm

daleadmin wrote:There should be no problems with the old peripherals. The only exception is if you have a Pertilian X2040 pole display. You will have to install the Pertilean software.

Dale

Good to know! Thanks Dale!

andy1m
Forum Regular

Post by andy1m » Sat Nov 19, 2016 10:53 pm

I'm moving from win98 to XP.

My TM220 parallel cannot print with latest driver downloaded from Epson site. Tried Aprint also not working.

So I found this old Epson driver, only 2.4MB (the latest one was 70 or 80MB). And IT'S WORKING!! WITHOUT USING APRINT.

For those moving to XP:
1. Setup your computer, install printer's driver
2. Copy all your files from POS folder.

And can run in full screen. Cash drawer opens & everything seems fine.

Thks Dale