DHPOS, 64 bit in QB64

Make comments, ask questions, or just complain about the software on this site. Or comment on any educational software.
Please note that by clicking on links that may appear in these posts that you may be leaving the Dale Harris Educational Software website and that the content of those sites is the sole resposibility of the authors of those sites.

Moderators:daleadmin, Dale Harris, Alan, Andrew

daleadmin
Forum Owner
DHPOS, 64 bit in QB64

Post by daleadmin » Wed Nov 23, 2011 6:39 pm

DOS is pretty much going to go away in the not too distant future. I will try to see that DHPOS does not go with it. To accomplish this goal I have been looking at QB64 because it seems to be the easiest path for me to upgrade.

I have managed to get two of the DHPOS program files to compile in QB64 and they seem to work fine on my XP, 32 bit machine. I need someone (or better yet several someones) to test this under Vista and Windows 7 both 32 and 64 bit systems.

These programs were the easiest to convert and are file compatible with the regular DHPOS program files. Since both display pole display data you will have to run POS.EXE in one window while using either of these programs in another window. Hold down [ALT] and press [ENTER] to toggle between full screen and a window display.

The first program is BIGPOLE which will turn a monitor into a pole display. The download link is http://keyhut.com/bigpole.exe

The second program is REMOTE which will display the pole display output from other registers in up to 6 windows on the screen so that you can monitor what the registers are doing . The download link is http://keyhut.com/remote.exe Here are the instructions http://keyhut.com/postip11.htm#remote

For me to continue to convert all the DHPOS program files to QB64 I need to know if this works under 64 bit Windows 7 or if I would just be wasting my time.

I do know that QB64 versions will not work under Windows versions earlier than XP. Since keeping up 2 version of the program in the past has proved to be impossible this means that once I convert to QB64 that the DOS version will no longer be updated with new features. However I will keep the last version up on my website for downloads and I will fix bugs found in it.

For as long as possible the two versions will be data file compatible which means (for example) that a stock table created using the DOS version can be used with the QB64 version. You will even be able to run a network with some computers running the DOS version and some running the QB64 version. But eventually an upgrade to the QB64 version will require a change in the file format of one of the data files and the two version will no longer be data file compatible.

So I need a test report for these files, get to it.

Dale

brucef2112
Forum Regular

Re: DHPOS, 64 bit in QB64

Post by brucef2112 » Wed Nov 23, 2011 11:44 pm

:?: Error message running on XP pro with sp3 32bit.
This application has failed to start because SDL_image.dll was not found. Re-installing the applicationmay fix this problem. OK
Later,
Bruce

They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety."
Benjamin Franklin - Historical Review of Pennsylvania, 1759

daleadmin
Forum Owner

Post by daleadmin » Thu Nov 24, 2011 12:47 am

Did reinstalling it fix the problem?

cpb14
Forum Regular

Post by cpb14 » Thu Nov 24, 2011 11:03 am

Seems to work on Vista 32 Bit

CB

brucef2112
Forum Regular

Post by brucef2112 » Fri Nov 25, 2011 12:21 am

daleadmin wrote:Did reinstalling it fix the problem?
uuhhhh....reinstall what??? From the original post's instructions I assumed that I just needed to DL the two files for remote and bigpole and stick them in my existing POS directory and run 'em.
What else to install/reinstall?
Later,
Bruce

They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety."

daleadmin
Forum Owner

Post by daleadmin » Fri Nov 25, 2011 2:14 am

Bruce,

That is what I thought also. But then why did it work for CB?

Dale

small
Forum Regular

Post by small » Sat Nov 26, 2011 8:05 pm

Hello,

any program that was compiled in QB64.exe Must contain the required DLL files. These files may be placed in your windows directory or can reside in the folder where the program is. These Files can be downloaded. I also gave Dale a copy of all the DLL files that needs to be included with the QB64 programs. These required files are not that big.

The best thing to do is to unzip these files into your dhpos directory as that is where you will be running the programs for DHPOS.

REQUIRED QB64 FILES DOWNLOAD LINK:
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/8440706/Program64.zip

Sincerely,

SMALL
A DHPOS user
Last edited by small on Sat Nov 26, 2011 8:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.

lentzs

Post by lentzs » Sat Nov 26, 2011 8:09 pm

QB64 uses MinGW C++ compiler to compile the code (I think is converts it to C++ first.) You may have to give out SDL_imge.dll from your QB64 install. It may work for some other people if they have installed something else that was complied with MinGW, thus, it was installed with the DLL needed.

I used MinGW C++ awhile back and I remember that I to include some extra files with exe for it to run properly.

Update: Just saw some posted the same thing as I was typing.

If you are using QB64, will you compile a Linux version? I have been recommending DHPOS for year to business with a strict budget. A Linux port will help business with small budget. I have a few using it with DOSBox but it will be easer to have native version running.

brucef2112
Forum Regular

Post by brucef2112 » Sun Nov 27, 2011 9:29 pm

DL the REQUIRED QB64 FILES from Small into my POS directory. All seems to work well running on XP pro with sp3 32bit.
Later,
Bruce

cwathen
Forum Regular

Post by cwathen » Mon Nov 28, 2011 5:55 am

Works fine in Windows 7 32 bit. Also supports full screen mode on Vista/7 without needing DosBox, old video drivers or other hacks as you do with the DOS version.

The downside to moving away from DOS is that it will no longer be possible to access it via Telnet/SSH, which did allow for things like using dumb terminals and remote access.

EDIT: There is a hack here which allows the compiler in the latest version of QB64 to generate executables which will still run on Windows 2000. I realise it's not much of an extra user base to add, but implementing that would at least allow the brave new world of Windows based DHPOS to still be compatible with one more older OS.

Bobby
Forum Regular

Post by Bobby » Tue Nov 29, 2011 9:56 am

I love this idea. I have vista 64-bit and Ubuntu 64-bit, and I would be happy to test the programs on those systems.

Long live DHPOS!

daleadmin
Forum Owner

Post by daleadmin » Tue Nov 29, 2011 7:57 pm

Bobby,

So do it. I can't wait for your results.

Dale

Bobby
Forum Regular

Post by Bobby » Thu Dec 01, 2011 9:38 pm

I have tried both programs in 64-bit Vista with no errors, I only needed to download the dll zip posted in this topic. I have not had an opportunity to boot up linux yet. This even worked full screen, no errors.

I cannot wait to get the full program converted.

Sincerely,
Bobby

emery
Forum Regular

Post by emery » Thu Dec 01, 2011 10:31 pm

Just sayin, DSC is all 64 bit, you can download it at http://dhposselfcheckout.tk or from http://dhposselfcheckout.tk/dsc1b.zip
DSC "Dhpos Self Checkout" Is currently being worked on again, the new site is at
http://dhpos.midislandsnoblazers.ca

daleadmin
Forum Owner

Post by daleadmin » Sat Dec 10, 2011 10:13 pm

LOOKUP.EXE has also been compiled with QB64. Here is the download link.

http://keyhut.com/lookup.exe