CRITICAL BUG: CORRUPTION OF STOCK TABLE DATA!

Make comments, ask questions, or just complain about the software on this site. Or comment on any educational software.
Please note that by clicking on links that may appear in these posts that you may be leaving the Dale Harris Educational Software website and that the content of those sites is the sole resposibility of the authors of those sites.

Moderators:daleadmin, Dale Harris, Alan, Andrew

brucef2112
Forum Regular
CRITICAL BUG: CORRUPTION OF STOCK TABLE DATA!

Post by brucef2112 » Thu Jan 24, 2013 4:27 pm

Dale,
I found this one through an oddball series of key strokes trying to cancel a transaction.
This bug corrupts the INVENTORY for an item by reducing the inventory count for an item that was not actually sold with what looks like a canceled sales transaction.
This bug is consistant and can be reproduced.
Tested with version 7.1g and 7.1j. (good chance it exists in previous also)

This can happen when using the [Tab] key to modify the quantity sold of the first item scanned into a sales transaction. (Note: register is set up to work with a scanner or if the scanner option is set to "3. All stock numbers are assumed to be scanned." or if the [F8] option is used when entering an item.)

How to reproduce:
SETUP: To be able to verify results, first go to the stock table and note a test item and its Inventory count.

1. From the sales transaction screen, Scan the barcode of your noted item. (On screen will show ┤PRESS [TAB] TO MODIFY LAST LINE├)
2. Press the [TAB] key as if you want to change quanity. (Cursor returns to Quanity field)
3. (Change your mind about it) and Press the [Esc] key. (Cursor returns to Stock # field)
4. Press the [Esc] key again. (program appears to Cancel the sale and returns to POS main menu)

What appears to be a canceled transaction has actually corrupted the the inventory count by reducing the item's count by 1 as if the transaction was completed sale. ie it doesn't return the item to inventory like when a transaction is [F5]Voided.

To verify results, go back into the stock table and note the test item's Inventory count is now one less than before even though the sale was never completed.

Note this can only happen if it's the first (only) item scanned in a transaction. Attempts with subsiquent items scanned and [Esc] as above obviously won't cause the problem because one would need to [F5]Void the entire transaction, which does return the items to the inventory as it should.
Later,
Bruce

They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety."
Benjamin Franklin - Historical Review of Pennsylvania, 1759

small
Forum Regular

Re: CRITICAL BUG: CORRUPTION OF STOCK TABLE DATA!

Post by small » Fri Jan 25, 2013 2:12 pm

I confirm this error does exist

small
Forum Regular

Post by small » Tue Jan 29, 2013 3:41 pm

DaleH,

Did you give up on fixing bugs. You have not even replied to this post.

***********    HAVE YOU EVEN READ IT    *************

IS DHPOS ON LIFE SUPPORT?

brucef2112
Forum Regular

Post by brucef2112 » Tue Jan 29, 2013 5:46 pm

Small,
Calmmmmm.....Woooosaaaaaa.......Deeep breath...... sloooow exhale....... Ahhhhh.

Until he actually gets to a fixin' it, there's no need for him to just post a 'yep, i read it'.
I always assume that when I send a new post and it's "Read Count" is in the 2 to 4 range, that Dale is one of those who read it.

The problem has been identified.
Yes, it is a critical bug, but as long as everyone knows what causes it and now knows how to avoid hurting their data, we can just stand by and wait. Once Dale gets finished counting keys, building new Key Kiosk, tending to work, wife, kids & cat and ensuring his new XP PC is golden to continue programming he'll post back with a fix.

The one above aside, there are also these that need addressing too and although most have no replies to their latest posts, I'm sure Dale has read them all.
Return sale with discount error
BUG: A Voided Sale results in erroneous customer sales info
New RECEIVE.EXE feature BUG
Re: Minor BUG: User interface/Screen Redraw with Receive Pro
Bug: Adding a note includes a price value to it
BUG REPORT: Attempt to save report to file CAN Fail to save

Note: Aside from Dale's life, the impact of the Arab Spring may also affect a speedy fix and we'll just have to continue to wait!

*bruce, standing-by with paddles in hand.......in case Small has a heart attack over all this*
Later,
Bruce

They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety."

CBL

Post by CBL » Wed Jan 30, 2013 2:43 am

I do not intend to take this thread off-topic, but for those that are impatiently waiting for a fix, please remember this key point:

DHPOS is free software, that Dale develops in his own time.

As free software, it is very capable and stable. I know of several commercial POS solutions (that cost thousands of dollars per terminal) that have much, much more serious bugs, and the (paid) developers take a very long time to fix them. If the bugs are serious enough. If the developers could be bothered to.

Although I am not an active member of the forum, I have set up DHPOS for a few businesses, and used it for a time in my own business. I quietly watch it grow and evolve. I think that Dale does a pretty good job of fixing bugs quickly.

I have been working in IT for years, and have written a bit of software myself. I will point out that you will gain a completely new insight into software development once you begin to understand what actually goes on "under the hood."

I would like to thank Dale for his work on DHPOS, and let him know that it is helping out small businesses.

I apologise if this appears to be a rant. It's just my two cents. Admin, please feel free to delete this post if you think it is inappropriate in any way.

small
Forum Regular

Post by small » Wed Jan 30, 2013 4:32 am

I have been following DHPOS for over 7 years and Dale knows that I am joking. I don't use DHPOS in a business, I am just a tester for Dale.

Just a Note: At lease my post has brought a little life to the forums.

brucef2112
Forum Regular

Post by brucef2112 » Fri Feb 01, 2013 11:01 pm

small said:
Just a Note: At lease my post has brought a little life to the forums.
WOOO HOOO!!!! Small, RELEASE THE BALLOONS!!! I'll get the music! :lol:
Beers for everyone! This already beats any anticipated Microsoft software release! Yeah!!! 8)
Later,
Bruce