System upgrade: how to retain Z Report?

Make comments, ask questions, or just complain about the software on this site. Or comment on any educational software.
Please note that by clicking on links that may appear in these posts that you may be leaving the Dale Harris Educational Software website and that the content of those sites is the sole resposibility of the authors of those sites.

Moderators:daleadmin, Dale Harris, Alan, Andrew

andy1m
Forum Regular
System upgrade: how to retain Z Report?

Post by andy1m » Sat Nov 19, 2016 7:04 am

Been running DHpos for five years. As the HDD getting old, upgrading to new (old actually) system with SSD drive.

But why my Z Report is reset to 0 (zero)? Is there way to copy the old report file over?

Thks.

brucef2112
Forum Regular

Re: System upgrade: how to retain Z Report?

Post by brucef2112 » Tue Nov 22, 2016 1:46 am

YES! you can get your Z reading value from the old hard drive to reflect the same on your new hard drive!!!

!Warning! These are the rantings of a madman. Only a fool would listen. !Warning!

There are two possible methods.
1. The first way is the direct method. NO I won't divulge this method. Dale insists it's a secret and I believe him.

2. The second way, may or may not be feasible, depending on your current Z reading value (which you didn't mention its value).
So If you are in the few millions range (or less, is better), it is easy and not too time consuming.
If you are anywhere near $999,999,999,999.99 (a tad over Nine Hundred Ninety-Nine Billion), this is still doable but its a looonnng haul to get there, but if you insist, have at it.

This method exploits the feature that all register files on the same computer use the same "Z" reading.
This means that all register files, in any folder, on any drive, on the same computer will share the same "Z" reading.

Here is the short of it.
Create a dummy register on the same drive as your real POS.
Ring large sale(s) to get to your Z reading. Delete the dummy and start ringing on your store POS.

The details:
1. Backup your entire directory which contains your real(actual) POS. Do not skip this step. You will anger the Data Gods. No...really...., back it up.
2. Create a dummy COPY version the POS on the same drive as your real POS, for safety and your sanity create this dummy POS in its OWN directory. Something like C:\DummyPOS would be good.
3. Get your Z reading Number, get your calculator. depending on the value of your Z Reading you may do well to get a beer.
4. Start ringing up large sales to get close to your Z reading.
5. Get a calculator and do the math. Then use a single smaller sale to reach your target number.
6. Delete the dummy and finish your beer.

Here are some basics that will be helpful to first see if this endeavor to reach YOUR Z reading is reasonable (given time and effort).

Maximum price per item = $9,999.99
Maximum items per line = 999
Maximum dollar amount for individual sale $9,999,999.99

So if your target Z reading is less than Ten Million, you can get to your target with a single transaction, finish your beer and have a nice day.

What if I go over (past) my Z reading?!? you ask. You have two option.
The Z reading max before 'rollover' = $999,999,999,999.99
Create 100,000 "Max Sales" transactions plus one more sale of $1,000 dollars to get it to 'role over' back to ZERO.And then start again. This time without the beer.
Or wipe the hard drive by reformating, reinstall OS, updates, Other software, drivers, create another Dummy POS, restore your POS (you did a backup right?) and then start again without the beer this time.

!Warning! These are the rantings of a madman. Only a fool would listen. !Warning!
Later,
Bruce

They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety."
Benjamin Franklin - Historical Review of Pennsylvania, 1759

andy1m
Forum Regular

Post by andy1m » Tue Nov 22, 2016 9:18 pm

Thks brucef2112

I was searching for some kind of hidden files but could not find it. (method one)

Then I was thinking maybe I could just make a big sale that equal to my Z report. Thks for your detail guidelines. I may try it.

daleadmin
Forum Owner

Post by daleadmin » Tue Feb 07, 2017 12:04 am

Guys,

The "Z" reading is hidden (hopefully, well hidden) on the hard drive. If the drive is crashed the "Z" reading is gone.

Think of it this way. If you had an old actual physical cash register and it was smashed to smithereens by a falling anvil and you had to replace it with another actual physical cash register, it would not be possible to load the new register with the old "Z" reading. The purpose of the "Z" reading is so that, if you pay rent as a percentage of sales, your landlord can take a weekly "Z" reading and calculate your rent. Tell your landlord, "Cash register, anvil, BOOM" and he will be understanding and reset his calculations of your "Z" reading to zero. He will not be too understanding if the "anvil" thing happens often.

I do realize that some folks do use the "Z" reading for their own nefarious purposes but the fact remains that it should not be possible to mess with the "Z" reading.

I did review brucef2112's method of recreating the "Z" reading on a new hard drive and I have two comments on that. 1. It will probably work, I never thought that anyone would want to increase the "Z" reading, and 2. brucef2112 needs a hobby.

Dale

brucef2112
Forum Regular

Post by brucef2112 » Wed Mar 08, 2017 11:56 pm

Dale,
Thanks for pat on the head.

*bruce rummages through his box of hobbies.*
Later,
Bruce

They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety."
Benjamin Franklin - Historical Review of Pennsylvania, 1759