Serial scanner LS9100 problem reading whole barcode SOLVED!!

Make comments, ask questions, or just complain about the software on this site. Or comment on any educational software.
Please note that by clicking on links that may appear in these posts that you may be leaving the Dale Harris Educational Software website and that the content of those sites is the sole resposibility of the authors of those sites.

Moderators:daleadmin, Dale Harris, Alan, Andrew

René
Occasional Poster
Serial scanner LS9100 problem reading whole barcode SOLVED!!

Post by René » Thu Sep 01, 2005 10:01 am

I found a freeware programm Comwedge.exe to read serial scanner code to the screen. It works fine when I use it directely from a DOS prompt. ( all kind of codes directy appear on the screen. When I use it with Pos something strange happens. Sometimes it read the barcode with good. But other times it does not read it at all or just a part of the code. I test with the same barcodes. I am running under native DOS.
Any idea how to solve this?
René
Last edited by René on Wed Sep 21, 2005 3:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.

The IBM Guy
Forum Regular

Post by The IBM Guy » Sat Sep 03, 2005 3:16 pm

Hi Renè,

There is a limit to how many numbers you can have in the stock tables for POS. I think it's 14 or something.

Are you sure the barcodes you're scanning no longer than 14 numbers long? If not then I would say it is a barcode reader fault.

Ryan

René
Occasional Poster

Post by René » Sat Sep 03, 2005 3:47 pm

The barcodes are 13 long. And the reader is fine too. Actually I have two the same readers and both give the same results.(=problems)
The problem is that it happens not alle the time. If I scan the same code a couple of times it might go well 2 or 3 times and than there is a fault and a next time it goes well again.
If I scan directely to a DOS prompt I never have the problem.
Could it be a buffer problem or timing???
And if so is there something to do about it?
René

The IBM Guy
Forum Regular

Post by The IBM Guy » Sat Sep 03, 2005 7:09 pm

I take it the manufacturer is Symbol?

René
Occasional Poster

Post by René » Sun Sep 04, 2005 2:26 am

Hello Ryan,

Yes Symbol LS9100

René

The IBM Guy
Forum Regular

Post by The IBM Guy » Sun Sep 04, 2005 8:58 am

If I remember correctly there are some compatability issues with using serial barcode readers with any EPOS system.

I know for sure there is a compatability between DHPOS and the Symbol LS serial scanner range. I tested it once with one of our systems and the DHPOS software and it didnt seem to like it.

I would suggest using a PS/2 barcode reader, not USB or serial.

René
Occasional Poster

barwedge.com

Post by René » Wed Sep 21, 2005 3:32 pm

I solved the problem by finding an other wedge program BARWEDGE.COM this is free software and works fine with LS9100 serial scanner.

MMI (not logged in)

Post by MMI (not logged in) » Sat Sep 24, 2005 8:47 pm

I use a USB Scanner, and it works fine. I like it becuase I only have one scanner and computers and it will work in any program.