POS version 6.40h released 3-19-08. New features, bug fix

Make comments, ask questions, or just complain about the software on this site. Or comment on any educational software.
Please note that by clicking on links that may appear in these posts that you may be leaving the Dale Harris Educational Software website and that the content of those sites is the sole resposibility of the authors of those sites.

Moderators:daleadmin, Dale Harris, Alan, Andrew

daleadmin
Forum Owner
Re: POS version 6.40h released 3-19-08. New features, bug fix

Post by daleadmin » Tue Apr 01, 2008 7:20 am

Link is fixed

ToPS

Post by ToPS » Wed Apr 02, 2008 4:04 pm

Dale,

Yes, the link works, but it links to a pos.exe which identifies itself(when installed) as 6.40h3.

I expected it to be 6.40h2.

I have downloaded now about 4 times and none works - we are still experiencing the same problem.

Regards

ToPS

daleadmin
Forum Owner

Post by daleadmin » Thu Apr 03, 2008 7:11 pm

ToPS,

Try this file http://keyhut.com/pos.exe It will be version 6.40h4

This will not fix the problem. However when you finish the sale it will print numbers in a red block to the left edge of the screen. If the program dies write down the number in the red block. If you can get this to happen several times with the number each time that will be better. Post the numbers here, this will help find the part of the program that is causing the problem.

I am assuming that the problem happens when you are finishing a sale.

Dale

ToPS

Post by ToPS » Fri Apr 04, 2008 10:39 am

Dale,

When the red number 40 is displayed and the enter key is pressed to go to the next sale, a grey screen will briefly be displayed while the program will pause for a second or so.
This does not happen after every sale but only after about every 10th sale.
After 6 or 7 of these grey screens we will get another screen with the error message:- out of string space in line 3 of module pos2 at address 1803:4D6F.
Press any key to exit.

And of cause the program then exits.

I also tried to restart computer in MSDOS mode and to run DHPOS from the command prompt but got the error message:- Bad file mode in line 12 of module Pos6 at address...(different addresses).
Maybe that info helps.

Regards

Tom

PS.
Regarding my last paragraph:- I found that the error when running the program in DOS mode is due to the network not being set up in DOS.
On the PC running both the Global and register D files the error does not occur.
This does not solve my problem on the other PC's.

Any idea's?

ToPS

daleadmin
Forum Owner

Post by daleadmin » Sun Apr 13, 2008 11:58 am

ToPS,

I have tried something else. Try this version http://keyhut.com/pos.exe which will now be version 6.40h5 and see what happens.

Dale

ToPS

Post by ToPS » Tue Apr 15, 2008 5:23 pm

Dale,

After some initial testing of 6.40h5 I can see an improvement in the reaction time of the program - it is the slight pause after about every 10 sales that is now much better.
However, the (out of string space in line 3 of module POS2 at address 1807:4D6F) error appears... and of course... press any key to exit.

This time it happens after the #42 is displayed in the red square.
I am still trying to determine any sort of pattern in when the error happens.

I have tried a complete new installation and setup of DHPOS on one of the cash register PC's but with the same results.
What worries me is why it appears to be only my system that has this problem, so I'm trying everything I can think of that could possibly influence the program.

Thanks again for your efforts and hard work.

Regards

ToPS

daleadmin
Forum Owner

Post by daleadmin » Tue Apr 15, 2008 10:49 pm

ToPS,

Here is another to try. Same link http://keyhut.com/pos.exe but this will be verson 6.40h6

Dale

ToPS

Post by ToPS » Tue Apr 15, 2008 11:04 pm

Dale,

Tanks full of Thanks.

Will try it out today and let you now.

Regards

ToPS

ToPS

Post by ToPS » Fri Apr 18, 2008 7:00 am

Dale,

Same thing happens with number 44 in the red box.

It does however seem to happen slightly less often.(could be that i'm just getting used to it)

Regards

ToPS

daleadmin
Forum Owner

Post by daleadmin » Mon Apr 21, 2008 7:03 pm

ToPS,

Here is another to try. Same link http://keyhut.com/pos.exe but this will be verson 6.40h7

Now the numbers will change for individual commands in the program so I should be able to narrow the problem down exactly.

BTW, are you using a pole display?

Dale

ToPS

Post by ToPS » Tue Apr 22, 2008 4:46 pm

Dale,

Yes, I am using a pole display on 2 of the 3 PC's.
Pole.exe does not work, so we use direct access.

I should just to mention that 6.40 is not just all bad!
The server (that we do not use as a register) use to have the well known Win98 problem with reporting "out of memory" when running DOS based programs even though 512mb is installed.
Halfway through every day we had to restart the PC to be able to run any DOS program.

I don't know what you changed, but after the upgrade to 6.40, we are not getting that problem any more.

Regards

ToPS

ToPS

Post by ToPS » Mon Apr 28, 2008 1:56 pm

Dale,

We are still getting the same problem, now with the red box displaying number 48.

We have the problem on the PC without the pole display as well as on the other ones, but it does appear to occur less frequent on the one without the pole display.

Funny thing that I did not mention before- on the 1 PC with a serial pole display as well as a serial cash drawer kick the program does not exit completely but it returns to the system with the only effect that the cash drawer will not open.
We then use POSconfig to and go to the Open Cash drawer option.
Enter twice to get to the port settings and use F4 to send the code to the cash drawer which then opens and we can continue as if nothing has happened.
I tried the changing the pole display and cable with no change in he results.
I tested the pole display on another PC where it worked fine.
I changed the cash drawer kick - no luck.
I even went so far as to swop the PC with another one with a fresh installation of Windows and DHPOS - the same thing happens!
I disconnected the Pole display - again no luck!!

Any ideas on what to try next?
Prayer maybe?

Regards

ToPS

daleadmin
Forum Owner

Post by daleadmin » Mon Apr 28, 2008 6:34 pm

ToPS,

It looks like the problem is somewhere in the part of the program that ouputs the pole display data. So here is version 6.40h8 to try out. This should leave a number somewhere between 100 and 120 when it crashes.

Same link http://keyhut.com/pos.exe

Dale

ToPS

Post by ToPS » Wed Apr 30, 2008 3:31 pm

Dale,

Thank you very much.

I will give it a try and report back as soon as possible.
We have a few public holidays and it is month-end.

You might recall that we had some correspondence some time ago regarding the pole display output that changed with a previous upgrade.
If I remember correctly it was with the introduction of 6.38/9.
I reported that the (cashier name) is serving you message and Welcome to... message just flash across the display and does not stay displayed as it used to.
Maybe something happened in the program then.

I must say that I really appreciate your trouble.

True Regards

ToPS

ToPS

Post by ToPS » Tue May 06, 2008 4:40 pm

Dale,

Yes, unfortunately we are still being knocked out of the system.
The number in the red box is 48 and then it flashes a very fast 104.

Please note that this also happens on the register without a pole display or any other serial devices.

Regards

ToPS