Kind of... uh... off topic...

Make comments, ask questions, or just complain about the software on this site. Or comment on any educational software.
Please note that by clicking on links that may appear in these posts that you may be leaving the Dale Harris Educational Software website and that the content of those sites is the sole resposibility of the authors of those sites.

Moderators:daleadmin, Dale Harris, Alan, Andrew

ProDeZigner
Forum Regular
Kind of... uh... off topic...

Post by ProDeZigner » Mon Mar 20, 2006 11:28 am

Alright, I LOVE the DHPOS system... but my problem lies not in the software, but the business I'm using it in... I'm turning to you guys for advice.

There is a small gaming / hobby store that's in a bad location... the owner is very sick (cancer), he's the nicest guy in the world and he left my friend to run the store. The store was in terrible shape when we got there... no stock, nothing... they barely made 1000 a month... they're three months behind on bills... and I've helped EVERYWAY I can, using DHPOS as a cost efficient POS system... donating hardware to the store for a register... but where the owner is sick he always takes money from the store to pay his bills and so-forth... and we can't really afford stock or anything. The stock they have aren't moving... so I suggested take the price of stuff they pay for... mark it up 15% and round it to the nearest dollar... then multiply the sales tax, subtract that from the rounded dollar and set that as a price (that way it moves more stock and you can advertise one set fee). So I guess what I'm asking the community... how can *I* help more? I currently lost my job as an assistant manager so it gives me more time to help them get MORE situated while my search for another job is in progress.

The guy they left the store to, this is his dream... to have a store like this, but they kind of cleaned out and stuck him in the worst possible situation. And I'm the only one helping him out w/ stuff. The rest of the 'employees' (see also: Volunteers), just goof off and do nothing. I done the entire inventory myself (what little there is). Bleh... I'm just rambling.

Sorry if this sounds like a sympathy post. Being the guy I am I love to help people... that's just how I am. Now matter how bad MY situation is.

Thanks in advance.

ibmsystems
Forum Regular

Post by ibmsystems » Mon Mar 20, 2006 2:42 pm

1. "The employees goof off"
Solution: Kick'm in the rear 8)

2. Price Idea :D
Opinion:Brillant

I think youve done all you can ;)

Dale Harris
Forum Owner

The Store

Post by Dale Harris » Tue Mar 21, 2006 1:14 pm

ProDeZigner,

If the owner is taking the profits out if the cash drawer then that is OK. However if the owner is also taking the capital out of the cash drawer then the situation is hopeless. The business is eating itself.

If the remaining money is not enough to restock the store and pay the rent, utilities, taxes, and payroll then it may take a short time or possibly a bit longer but the business is doomed. Walk away now, sticking around is pointless, a waste of your time, and ulimately heartbreaking if you care about your friend at all, take him with you.
Dale

ToPS

Post by ToPS » Wed Mar 22, 2006 5:45 pm

ProDeZigner,

if alternative means of paying the medical & other costs of the owner can be found, the shop might be saved.
What for I'm not to sure because what will happen if the owner dies anyway?

I'm sure there must be some sort of organisation and/or people in the USA that still cares and that will help sick people.

Ideas: - Eliminate Threats one by one (money being taken)
use oppertunities

Ask yourself - What alternatives are there?

Pray.

ToPS