New user looking for assistance

Make comments, ask questions, or just complain about the software on this site. Or comment on any educational software.
Please note that by clicking on links that may appear in these posts that you may be leaving the Dale Harris Educational Software website and that the content of those sites is the sole resposibility of the authors of those sites.

Moderators:daleadmin, Dale Harris, Alan, Andrew

phill2000star
Occasional Poster
New user looking for assistance

Post by phill2000star » Mon Apr 23, 2007 3:35 pm

Hiya all.

Firstly, extreme thanks and congratulations to Dale Harris for his work, and for his fantastic kind gesture of allowing this to be used for free!

I have stumbled upon this site through an item I was looking at on eBay (UK), and couldn't believe my eyes!!

I have looked into DHPOS, and even got it running on the laptop I'm typing this with now! But enough of the rambling, here are the question(s), but firstly I feel I need to give you some background information.

I am a freelance web designer, and my best friend has a record shop. He is looking at moving premises, and updating his Casio calculator and small lockable box, to a more functional till system. Since he has a PC already, all I would need to get him is a cash drawer (with solenoid), thermal printer and barcode scanner. This would then allow him to sell his items, in a professional and functional manner.

Now at the same time this is happening, I am redesigning his web site to enable it for e-commerce, allowing his customers to purchase items on-line.

i) Would I be able to use the website (developed in PHP and using a mySQL database) to "talk" to DHPOS. I was thinking of having the PHP scripts updating the tables in DHPOS in real-time. The only thing I wanted to know is would this be possible, or do you have to re-load the tables by closing DHPOS and restarting it?

ii) In DHPOS at the moment, I have the tax option set (17.5% VAT in the UK) but I think I am doing something wrong. If a customer purchases an item worth £9.99 (this should be all they pay). When I ring an item through the till it says they should pay £11.74? So I see that you need to key in the amount of the item minus the VAT / tax and it will add it to make it £9.99.

So I would need to ring through a sale for an item with a value of £8.50 (VAT = £1.49 to be added, bringing the total cost to £9.99).

Is there anyway to get DHPOS to work out the tax total of an item and display it at the bottom of the receipt. i.e. I ring through the following: -

12" Record - 9.99
12" Record - 6.99
12" Record - 7.99
2xCD - 14.99
2 Channel Mixer - 149.99
=======================
TOTAL = 189.95
VAT = 23.29*
=======================
VAT is rated at 17.5%

At the moment I have to do the following: -

12" Record - 8.50
12" Record - 5.95
12" Record - 6.80
2xCD - 12.76
2 Channel Mixer - 127.65
=======================
SUBTOTAL = 166.66
VAT = 23.29*
TOTAL = 189.95
=======================
VAT is rated at 17.5%

Does anyone know of a way to do this?

thanks!!

peewee3ie
Forum Regular

Post by peewee3ie » Mon Apr 23, 2007 6:08 pm

under the tax rates in posconfg. You can set an option there so the DHPOS konw that the items has tax (vat) included in the prices.

from the main menu go to option 3 then option 1 from here goto Tax Rates then go to the box were it say beside it Tax displayed added at the end of sale....... Change this to included.

and it will be the way you want it to work

P.S. I also use it this way as it is quicker to enter stock in to the stock table
Tony McGuire
Ireland Support

daleadmin
Forum Owner

Stock table

Post by daleadmin » Mon Apr 23, 2007 10:05 pm

phill2000star,

Peewee3ie is correct about setting up the "Tax rates" feature to use "Included" tax to solve your tax problem.

While the program itself is not open source the stock table is. Here is the format for the stock table in QuickBASIC code. http://keyhut.com/fformat.htm#stock

If you can convert it into the language you are using then have fun. Just do not try to have your program and the DHPOS program try to update the stock table at the same time. That could prove an interesting although not a pleasent experience.

Dale

IAN
Forum Regular

Post by IAN » Tue May 15, 2007 9:32 pm

ahh! good good, i had set all tax to 0 and deleted the line from the recipt now i know how its done :)
IAN

(Everything i say is a lie! so am i telling you the truth?)