USB Hardware Suitability

Make comments, ask questions, or just complain about the software on this site. Or comment on any educational software.
Please note that by clicking on links that may appear in these posts that you may be leaving the Dale Harris Educational Software website and that the content of those sites is the sole resposibility of the authors of those sites.

Moderators:daleadmin, Dale Harris, Alan, Andrew

emoyeni
USB Hardware Suitability

Post by emoyeni » Mon May 11, 2009 12:02 pm

Hi all.

Having read through all the forums I'm getting nervous about the practicalities of using USB hardware, scanner, keyboard, receipt printer. It would appear that this should be avoided - if this is not the case - why the tones in the forums which suggest this :?:

I will be using a Laptop, modern, so no serial or parallel ports. What's the big deal getting these setup. I haven't tried yet as I need to purchase and I don't want to purchase until I'm confident that the hardware will be compatible.

Thanks.

daleadmin
Forum Owner

Re: USB Hardware Suitability

Post by daleadmin » Mon May 11, 2009 6:46 pm

emoyeni,

No problems at all using a USB keyboard.

The vast majority of USB scanners work just fine as long as the "termination" character is set to [ENTER] as most are.

To use a USB printer you will have to set the printer port to FILE: and use the APRINT4.EXE program file that comes with the POS program to send the print stream to the USB port. Read this http://keyhut.com/postip4.htm

Dale