Symbol LS9100

Make comments, ask questions, or just complain about the software on this site. Or comment on any educational software.
Please note that by clicking on links that may appear in these posts that you may be leaving the Dale Harris Educational Software website and that the content of those sites is the sole resposibility of the authors of those sites.

Moderators:daleadmin, Dale Harris, Alan, Andrew

codasco704
Symbol LS9100

Post by codasco704 » Fri Jul 02, 2004 8:08 pm

I just got a symbol LS9100 serial scanner. I understand that serial scanners are not supported......I just need to find someone who is familiar with symbol scanners. Are there any drivers I need to connect this scanner to a PC, or do I just plug it into my serial port and go. Is there a piece of software or driver that can take the input from the serial port and put it into the keyboard buffer so I can use it with dhpos?.....if no one is familiar with symbol scanners, does anyone know of a forum where I can get help?

Dale Harris
Forum Owner

Serial scanner.

Post by Dale Harris » Fri Jul 02, 2004 8:29 pm

codasco704,

You know, it is a really good thing that nowhere in the instructions for POS does it say that, "This software does not support internal combustion engines." Because if it did say that I am sure that I would be getting endless messages asking me how to hook up an internal combustion engine to a computer running POS.

Anyway, read this... http://keyhut.com/postip5.htm#scanner Especially the part about "Serial scanner setup."
Dale

codasco704

Post by codasco704 » Fri Jul 02, 2004 8:42 pm

Sorry bout that....didn't read the manual entirely......I could have sworn that somewhere within posconfig something said that serial scanners would not work......o well...thanks for the info

Dale Harris
Forum Owner

Bad idea

Post by Dale Harris » Fri Jul 02, 2004 9:41 pm

codasco704,

Actually the instructions say that serial scanners will probably not work, and that it is a really bad idea, but that "keyboard wedge" or USB scanners will work with no problems.

I think that is why people then go out and get serial scanners, because they love the challenge or just want to drive me nuts.
Dale

codasco704

Post by codasco704 » Sat Jul 03, 2004 7:51 am

or $35 for a Symbol scanner was too good of a deal to pass up........

Alan
POS Guru

hehe

Post by Alan » Wed Jul 07, 2004 4:17 am

Interestingly enough, in the UK the vast majority of till equipment uses the serial port!! Keyboards, Scanners, Scales, Touchscreen, Reciept Printers, Slip printers.

I finally came across a generic LED type keyboard wedge scanner lying in a box!

IIRC can you not use Accessibity Options to accept serial input as text?

Alan

chilewillie
Forum Regular

Post by chilewillie » Thu Jul 08, 2004 10:26 am

Dale,
I'm not very interested in hooking up an internal combustion engine to dhpos (the carbon emissions are bad for computer components) but thanks for offering. I am however very interested in a hydrogen fuel cell powered pos. Dale, please add this to the think-about-it-pile swirling about in your yard. This would come in very handy when I expand my chain of mom and pop convience store/sweat shops onto other planets. When you have it built, I will happily send you another $5.00 when I get around to it and will of course publicly tell everyone how great you are. Thanks for being such a swell guy and helping to make me a stinking rich millionare.
Regards,
Joe Willis
http://www.cascada.net

mad_professor_2002
Occasional Poster

Post by mad_professor_2002 » Sat Jul 24, 2004 1:57 pm

Little tip for getting serial Bar-code scanners to read and display in dos.
Microsoft made a program a long time back for Serial Keyboard, The program was called somthing like SerialKeys.
I think I have a copy of it at work, but I am not back until monday.