Off Topic - Graphics

Make comments, ask questions, or just complain about the software on this site. Or comment on any educational software.
Please note that by clicking on links that may appear in these posts that you may be leaving the Dale Harris Educational Software website and that the content of those sites is the sole resposibility of the authors of those sites.

Moderators:daleadmin, Dale Harris, Alan, Andrew

Dan
Off Topic - Graphics

Post by Dan » Fri Feb 04, 2005 4:14 pm

I have an old computer that i recently had to format and reinstall Win 98.

Before reinstalling, i was able to get a high resolution and 256 colours. Since reinstalling i can only get 640x480 and 16 colours - it wont allow me to change to higher settings.

Can anyone suggest?

(sorry to post off topic - but i know there is a lot of computing knowledge among the users of this forum!)

Dan

okiepc
Forum Regular

Post by okiepc » Fri Feb 04, 2005 6:32 pm

Dan, you will need to install the drivers for your video card or your onboard video which ever is the case. You may have to open your computer to identify your video card or identify your motherboard if you have onboard video. Once identified you can go to a site such as http://www.driverguide.com to download your driver.

What has happened is Windows during setup did not identify your video, so set up bare minimum drivers as default.

Wish there was an easy way , you don't by chance have the setup disks that came with the old computer, if so they may be on those.

If you need more assistance post a reply.

okiepc

Andrew
Site Administrator

Post by Andrew » Fri Feb 04, 2005 8:10 pm

Dan, there is an off-topic forum on this messageboard where these sorts of messages can go.

Also http://www.grabageek.net can prove useful for such questions.
DHPOS Veteran (from v3.46, July 2002)

dan

Post by dan » Sun Feb 06, 2005 12:03 pm

Thanks for the help. I have given up on Win 98 - I decided that as the computer was capable of running XP it was worth the expense of the upgrade - and win XP has automatically sorted out the problem.

Dan

RooT

Wow...

Post by RooT » Wed Mar 09, 2005 7:12 pm

Cabby> I always thought you to be an old, wrinkly man.

LoL