POS sale screen changes.

Make comments, ask questions, or just complain about the software on this site. Or comment on any educational software.
Please note that by clicking on links that may appear in these posts that you may be leaving the Dale Harris Educational Software website and that the content of those sites is the sole resposibility of the authors of those sites.

Moderators:daleadmin, Dale Harris, Alan, Andrew

Which screen to you want in future versions?

Stick with the old screen.
19%
Go with the new screen
81%

Total votes: 16

Dale Harris
Forum Owner
POS sale screen changes.

Post by Dale Harris » Wed Feb 09, 2005 8:35 pm

I am thinking of changing the sale screen in the POS program. This link http://keyhut.com/newpos.htm will show you the current POS sale screen and the proposed new POS sale screen (kind of).

Is the new screen a good idea or do you hate change and want to keep the old one.
Dale

Andrew
Site Administrator

Post by Andrew » Wed Feb 09, 2005 8:53 pm

I really like the new one Dale - nicely spreadout columns to show more info - great!
DHPOS Veteran (from v3.46, July 2002)

Tina

New Screen

Post by Tina » Wed Feb 09, 2005 10:48 pm

I am neutral on this one!! As an Operator\Cashier Of DHPOS the change is awsome and it shows more useful info to the Operator\Cashier. From a customer's point of view (If I were the customer) it's a little bit cluttered and too much info to take in.. The new payment info to the Right, Is that the same text that is in the Reciept Language in Posconfig??

Im leaning more towards I like it.. Alot has to do with what type of setup you have and if your customers actually look at your screen instead of the pole display or other monitor..

Maybe the actual customers should get in on this one. Their opinion's should help out a great deal..

Tina

Wes
Forum Regular

POS sale screen changes.

Post by Wes » Wed Feb 09, 2005 11:37 pm

I like the new screen Dale. It looks great. I think it would be really helpful to see the whole stock number for when you need to make sure you rung something up correctly.

Would the "Tip" and "Cash Back" fields be able to be set up to not appear if you did not have those features set up in your pos config file?

-Eddie

Dale Harris
Forum Owner

Tip / cash back

Post by Dale Harris » Thu Feb 10, 2005 12:09 am

"Tip" and "Cash back" will not appear on the screen or receipt if not allowed just like the current screen.
Dale

bdude
Forum Regular

Post by bdude » Thu Feb 10, 2005 2:32 am

I prefer the old one for customers and the new one for the cashier

How about one that would suit both?

Dale Harris
Forum Owner

For example?

Post by Dale Harris » Thu Feb 10, 2005 3:51 am

What would you suggest that would combine both?
Dale

Tina

Screen change

Post by Tina » Thu Feb 10, 2005 11:14 am

How about an option under Posconfig that will let you choose between the two options. I do like the whole item # displayed, that's a nice one. Another idea for some screen changes would to have a running total in bigger letters then the rest.

Tina

ps Once you start changing the screen settings alot of users may or may not be happy with the new changes. If they can activate changes if they desire as an option, that would be best don't you think??

Tina

ChrisKraus
Forum Regular

Post by ChrisKraus » Thu Feb 10, 2005 4:44 pm

Great! And also more organised.
-Chris :)
- Chris
Christopher Kraus

Dale Harris
Forum Owner

Stuff

Post by Dale Harris » Thu Feb 10, 2005 7:36 pm

Tina,

On a DOS text screen (which POS uses) there is no way to make text slightly larger, so having the total larger is not possible. However when you are ringing up items into a sale the total is the bottom number in the box so it is real easy to find.

Just to see the size of the problem I started converting a copy of the POS program to use the new sales screen. There is code scattered all over the program that needs to be changed. Much more than I thought. And way too much to have duplicate code to make the old and new screens options, sorry.

However it was a real slow day in the keyshop so I got a lot done, maybe enough for a beta version tonight for people to try out.

I also see that the voting is pretty one sided in favor of the new sale screen so it looks like I will have to convert it.
Dale

Dale Harris
Forum Owner

New screen download

Post by Dale Harris » Thu Feb 10, 2005 9:47 pm

Here is a full download for beta version 6.27 with the new sale screen.

Make sure that you make a backup of your current POS folder and then download the file you choose into the backup folder to do your testing there.

You will have to use the "Receipt language" feature of the POSCONFG.EXE program to reset all your receipt labels to the default settings. You can then change them back to anything you want.

New screen--> http://pages.prodigy.net/daleharris.posnew.zip
Dale

Carl Fox
Occasional Poster

Re: For example?

Post by Carl Fox » Fri Feb 11, 2005 2:23 pm

Dale Harris wrote:What would you suggest that would combine both?
Dale - The new screen looks great. To make it suitable for both customer and sales asst to look at, how about taking the 'PRICE' column out?

Dale Harris
Forum Owner

Price column

Post by Dale Harris » Fri Feb 11, 2005 5:45 pm

Carl Fox,

Actually the price column is one of the "wonderful" new features of the new screen and has been requested for quite a while by lots of folks. I am assuming that both the customer and the sales associate know (or should know) what the price for each item being purchased is so who do we want to hide the price from? Also if you are a math whiz you can look on the screen and divide the "Amount" by the "Quant." and figure out what the price is.

But the real reason that folks asked for the price column is so that both the customer and the sales associate can see the price per item that is actually being rung on the register to make sure that it is the price marked on the item. It will cut way down on "discussions" about what was really being charged for each item.
Dale

Dale Harris
Forum Owner

The winner

Post by Dale Harris » Fri Feb 11, 2005 5:58 pm

BTW, it looks like we have a winner on the screen vote.

All future versions of the POS program will have the new sale screen.
Dale